Chapter 43

"Very nice." Zack commented when I was finished, I looked back at my work. I liked drawing, I was never the best in the world, but I wasn't bad.

I carved a set of different designs. On the bottom left corner was a leaf pattern, three leaves were joined together by berries. Shooting out from the berries were three swirls, the middle swirl was the longest. First shaping towards the top of the box, it made three lumps, the third spiralled into a swirl. The swirl a over it followed the lumps, except swirled in the second hump. The bottom one was the shortest of he three, swirling at the first bump.

I did this on the other side, the spirals going up the length of the box, indicating the corner shape.

Wanting to keep it simple I carved the exact same design on the top right hand corner, mirroring the bottom one. Then I had the whole middle section of the box, which I had carved the image of the forest, the little shrine in the middle. "Do you think he will mind?" I asked, not satisfied with my handiwork.

"Well I personally think it's amazing, and if he doesn't agree then we better get his eyes checked." Zack stated. I was starting to think he would actually do that.

"Wow I'm selfish. You must have been bored as I was carving. What did you do? Read?" I asked him, looking around. No. The room was the exact same.

"Nope. I just watched you. In a non-creepy way!" He added quickly, seeing my eyebrows furrow. I laughed.

"Ahah okay! I'll take your word for it." I smiled, he smirked. I have found that a lot of guys smirk. Sometimes girls as well. Zack interrupted my thoughts.

"Anyway you better sleep. It's getting late." He remarked, stripping his shirt off. I turned away, "aren't you going to sleep? You're not going to watch over me all night are you?" I laughed, the thought was slightly intimidating.

"No. I need energy to watch you- I mean watch over you, in the morning." He said, getting into bed.

"You just sleep with shorts on?" I asked.

"Yeah...?" He questioned. I shrugged.

"Never mind. I usually wear pyjamas..." I scoffed slightly.

"Usually?" He smirked. I playfully punched his shoulder, he laughed, his scraggy hair falling in his eyes. He didn't return the punch, thank god!

"Shut up!" I said, there wasn't any emphasise behind it. So it didn't offend him, instead he raised an eyebrow at me. "Well are you going to change...? Or is this one of the nights you sleep in your clothes?" He asked me.

The question took me aback, I hesitated. "Well I'm planning to change. Turn around if it bothers you, I don't change in front of guys. I just assume it might bother some." I mumbled, going to the wardrobe and pulling out pyjamas. A light blue singlet and dark blue shorts.

I didn't know if he was watching me or not, I didn't care. Josh and I never bothered with personal stuff. Leaving my undergarments on I stripped off my shirt and shorts, changing into the pyjamas. "Goodnight Zack." I said, turning the lights off. Damn! Was he watching me or not? Did it offend him? Stupid! He doesn't care. He is my brother.

"Goodnight" came the reply, it was pretty clear, saying I hadn't woke him. I smiled, finding my way to the top bunk easily. I sunk into the mattress and buried my face in the pillow, the Duma lay over the top of me. I sniffed, the smell on the pillow lingered around me.

"Zack. Was this your bed?" I asked him, recognising his scent.

"Yes. If it bothers you we can change." He suggested. Not wanting to be a burden I replied, "no no no. It's fine. I enjoy it here." I mumbled, biting myself frustratedly. I said the most stupid things sometimes!

There was a murmur as a reply, followed by even breathing.

Zack was asleep, and within a few moments; so was I.