Chapter 76

I grabbed Tara's arm automatically, yanking her forward despite my leg we turned to the left, while everyone else turned to the right.

Without meaning to, we had already split up.

"This way" I yelled at her, running faster, I breathed quickly through my mouth. I could feel Tara doing the same.

We raced through the tree lines, the growth thickened slightly so we had to watch our step. I tripped on some tree roots twice, stumbling but plunging on nonetheless.

I knocked my knee on a sign, crying out a stab of pain. I glanced at the sign, only processing what it said seconds later: DANGER. KEEP OUT

Of coarse, we plunged through straight and true.

I heard a howl in my ear as a wolf tried to nip it, I gasped, turning away and pushing the beast with my extended arm.

The owl was momentarily stunned, getting in a position to lunge back when the other wolf, a pack leader I would guess by the shredded ear, barked at it.

The wolfs glared at us eerily quiet.

Nobody moved.

I didn't understand, all we did was run out of the forest growth. Now we were standing in a plain terrain with lots of grass and hardly any trees.

Tara collapsed in a bundle beside me, panting heavily. The wolf beasts wouldn't dare step onto the grass, they bared their teeth. Their eyes shining with hate.

Suddenly in a line they filed out, walking back Into the heart of the forest, all I could think to do was stuck out my tongue.

"They aren't answering." Tara mystically said.

"What?" I asked, not taking anything in very well.

"The group. No one is answering. The line is dead." She gestured to the knife. I frowned, realising what this meant.

"Great. We are on our own and don't even realise if the rest of them are dead or alive." I muttered, plopping down next to Tara.

"It'll be fine. We can find everyone." Tara determinedly said, now that was the Tara I knew. Always level headed and modest.

"What even happened?" I asked her, taking the time to rest up.

"Well. It's kind of fuzzy... I remember... Um... I was flying. Well a monster was carrying me, but we flew over the city... Then. I don't know. I think I blacked out quite a lot, I remember being stuck to that pole for a bit. I think... And then you came... I'm not too sure of anything else. Except..." She stopped, looking at me with sorry eyes.

"What. What is it?" I demanded her.

Tara took a deep breath in. Sighing, she said, "I know this is a trap."

"Well yeah. We are concealed inside a magic dome that ride us of magic and spells and communication... Yeah this is a trap." I muttered.

"No. It's a feeling I have, like there are... Things here." She said.

All I did was stare at her.

"I know what you mean." Was all I could say.

Tara gazed off into the distance, staying as still as a statue. Suddenly she jerked back, grabbing my arm, "I know where we can get supplies." She said dreamily.

"Well okay... Where?" I asked, leaning in.

Tara whispered, "you see I remember these creatures that sleep all the time. And they guard these two camp bags... It was like a vision or something."

I didn't know what to reply, it sounded stupid to me. But I trusted Tara and her judgement.

"...where is is?" I asked her.

She merely pointed to our right. I followed her gaze, I could see a flickering camp light.

"That's where we need to go."