Chapter 53

"Okay. Since it's obvious you are an emotional wreck, why don't you fig it out. Kill something. I'll summon a monster, it could be any monster. And I want you to kill it, make sure to vent out your anger, hate, grief, et cetera." Sam ordered, his usual teachers voice coming on, however his tone was light.

I nodded, waiting patiently before a puff of smoke appeared in front of me, drifting away and revealing a monster.

Well... This was going to be hard!

The Reisu was huge! 8m tall round about, it breathed fire and it's skin was made out of hard brambles that were spiked with poison. It hissed at me before lunging, I glanced at Sam, who didn't look like he was going to help me.

I grabbed my sword out, screaming as my hair blazed with fire, and my sword grew flames out of it. The monster hesitated, I stroked, trying to pin-point it's weak spot.

I stabbed the side, the brambles were merely singed as I jumped back. Growing wings, that were the angels, except with fire. And a fox tail made out of fire, I lunged yet again, dragging my flaming fox tail along the brambles, burning the coat away.

The Reisu swung it's hand at me, it's long thorn nails caught in my tail, ripping my fur and hauling me against the ground. I screamed, completely trapped, the monster lunged it's second arm at me for the killing blow, I screamed, my fear was my fuel as my body turned to complete fire. As soon as the brambles touched me, they burned and withered to a crisp, lighting up the rest of the Reisu.

Before I knew it there was a pile of papery ashes with some green goo on them.

"That. Could've... Killed me! What the hell! You didn't even move or react!" I hissed at Sam, who also hadn't taken out his weapon.

"I knew you would stop it." He said calmly.

That didn't help. "no you didn't! I didn't know it would burn up! If I died just know that you would've been the reason." I huffed at him, getting extremely annoyed. He veered closer to me, leaning in and kissing my mouth.

I was too surprised to do anything, but think of Zach. Every bad thing I said, and now a guy was kissing me! I remembered his cold eyes of hatred, his look of fury at Sam.

I hastily turned my head away, breaking the short encounter.

"I'm sorry. But I can't, I like you. But I don't know you that much. And I'm terrified of breaking our friendship. It's the one thing I thought was true, until now..." I mumbled.

And that was when he smiled.

"Good. You're not like other people, that was a test if you liked me. Sorry for scaring you. Friends till the end?" He asked, as if he had merely petted my back.

I smiled and nodded, shaking his hand to seal the deal.

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle with unease, I turned around, spotting two eyes on me. Two beautiful, golden eyes were shockingly staring at me, but there were tears as well. Tears of anger, hate, resentment? I don't know. But with the guiltiest feeling in the world I recognised the person instantly; the person I loved.

Zach.