Chapter 77

Silently we creeped forward, our bodies outlined by the fire, making my eyes burn. Right next to the campfire were two green classic camping bags. And on wither sides were... Giant blobs. Monsters with squished up faces and gollum-like features.

I tiptoed to on bag, avoiding the snoring things and I slipped my finger around the handle, slowly I pulled it up, trying to make hardly any creaks at all. I could hear some stuff clatter inside, to everyone else it may have sounded like a tiny flash of metal, to me it sounded like a bomb going off. My eyes widened but I stayed calm, or as calm as I could be, as I lifted the rest of the bag, slowly back tracking away. My foot nudged something, up I turned quietly, one of the monsters, Ugly 1. I decided to call him, turned in his sleep. Indistinguishably growling something.

I bit my lip, crouching down slowly. The first thing that struck me was the stench of Ugly 1. It smelled like rotten poisonous food mixed with cat vomit.

I gagged slightly, placing my hand a few centimetres from my foot, neat the centre of the monsters back as my hand fastened around the metal. I swiftly picked it up, taking the quiver as well. It was a bow and arrow. Only one arrow was in it, and there was something... Delicate... About it.

I looked at Tara, whose eyes were watering while her face was squished together in a look of disgust.

In one swift movement she grabbed the bag, bounding towards me. Without turning behind we ran back into the clearing.

I slowed down my pace, matching with Tara as we headed up the,top of a hill. I turned my bag over, placing the bow and arrow down carefully.

Altogether we had some berries and edible leaves, a lighter, flashlight, and two bottles filled with water.

Thank goodness the flashlight worked, as the night was falling fast. I could hardly see among the shadows of the night.

That was annoying.

Tara turned the flashlight on, shining it over the hills.

"Wait. Look!" I pointed out, grabbing Tara's arm and directing the light over something. A figure.

I pierced my eyes into it... The thing was a light green, the arms and legs were tree branches, a light brown regular tree. The rest merged together sickly, outlining the oil-ish substance on the figure. The green and brown clashed at the base of the shoulders and hip, the figure turned around, it's big orb-alien eyes glared at us. It had no mouth, except for a hole that looked like a bullet wound. Or a puncture through the skin.

A screech was let forth from the alien monster as it longer at us, mainly using it's trunks arms to pull itself around the place.

Tara tapped my shoulder quickly, but I didn't need her to speak to get the message. Together we plummeted down the hill, using the inertia to carry us forward, the flashlight illuminated the space around me, whisking past the occasional bush. I glanced at the advancing monster, it wore a malicious face, probably out for a little hunt. A high pitch screech of... Laughter.... Filled my ears, although I had hardly any time to wonder what was going on.

A different sound fills the woods. It was low. And croaky.

Although I didn't think it was from the monster behind us.

Panic-stricken we plummeted along the growth, passing a puddle of water on our way. I didn't hear anything for a second. I risked another glance, the monster stopped and shuddered, coming to a halt and staggering away.

I fell once again, Tara panted on the ground beside me.

"I've. Come up... With a. Theory." She gasped, all I did was nod.

In a few deep breaths she evenly said, "well it seems in every different type of forest there are specific monsters, and they can't seem to cross the boundaries. So. Well... The first boundary was the normal forest area forming into the plain terrain. And now... Well now we are in the oak and line tree place. I can tell by the smell." She sniffed, holding up her flashlight.

I looked around, she was right. But that didn't help. No matter where we went, there was always something waiting.

Another grinding sound echoed around me, the one I heard before. It was low. And croaky, kind of like an old raspy mans breath... Mixed with a double bass.

Although now it was much closer...