Chapter 2: Shadow

CHAPTER 2

Vanessa's POV

Do you know what it's like
To feel so in the dark
To dream about a life
Where you're the shining star♪

I can hear people's applause and cheers. I can hear them singing with the song. I can feel their happiness as they sing along with Rachelle.

I can hear them shout her name. I can hear them shout how they love her and how they idolize her.

It just broke my heart. Masakit.

They're cheering on her.

Nakakainggit.

Siya, tuwang tuwa sa kasikatan na natatanggap niya. Tuwang tuwa na hinahangaan siya.

While I'm just here at the backstage. Natatakpan ng isang malaking kurtina.

Unnoticed.

I can see her wide smile. Her smile that makes her more beautiful. Her smile that makes people adore her more.

Napabuntong hininga nalang ako sa isip ko.

I just hope that someday, just someday, I will replace her.

Someday, I'm the one who'll be on the spotlight.

Someday, I will never be her shadow.

Someday, I'm gonna be somebody's someday.

I love singing. I really do.

Bata palang ako kinahihiligan ko nang kumanta. Hindi ko nga alam kung paano ako natuto eh. Well, siguro nasa dugo ko na ang pagkanta.

To become a singer is my biggest dream. I want to sing in front of people. I want to express my emotion, what I really feel. I want to inspire them by singing.

Well I guess, I just can't reach my dreams. Hindi para sa akin ang bagay na yon. Siguro hanggang dito lang talaga ako.

Ipinagpatuloy ko ang pagkanta ko.

Now I've found who I am
There's no way to hold it in
No more hiding who I wanna be
This is me♪

The audience cheered her performance. They even shouted her beautiful name.

Rachelle.

I just hope, they will cheer me too. That they will shout my name.

Pero mukhang malabong mangyari yon.

"Good job, Rachelle my dear!" My aunt said as she walks towards Rachelle.

She congratulated and hugged her tight while grinning at me. I just looked down. Naiinis ako. Naiinis ako sa kanila at sa sarili ko.

I know, I can't sing in front of them, in front of people. I'm just a shadow, her shadow.

I'm just Rachelle's shadow.

"Hey. Vanessa, you alright?" Mary asked me. She's my vocal coach. 

Honestly speaking?

"No. I'm not really okay. I just want to feel what Rachelle feels right now." I said, teary eyed.