e i g h t

"Can I ask you something?" Taehyung asked as he gave a can of soda to Ara. She took it and nodded. "Yes."

"Why did you agree to date me?" Ara almost choked. He took a bite of his chicken as he stared at her with an inscrutable face. Ara couldn't tell if he was mad or confused or happy.

"Yah why are you asking me this right now, so sudden?" She said grabbing the napkin Taehyung just gave her, she cleaned the corner of her lips. He smiled.

"It's just you always pushed me away and suddenly yesterday you agreed... So, I guess... I still can't believe it." He said chewing some fries as he looked at the river. Ara stared at his side profile. It was perfect, part of his handsomeness.

A wave of guilt drown her heart as she looked away too. He was right, she had rejected him plenty times. She was feeling bad now. "But it's okay... I am happy you finally agreed." He turned around giving her a wide squared smile, Ara smiled back.

"Do you like the food?" Ara nodded. "It's delicious."

"I didn't know what to do to be honest." Taehyung returned his eyes to the river, Ara just stared again at him. He would eat something and keep talking without looking at her. "You seem so fancy and classy... I am not like that."

Ara looked down to her hands, a wave of sadness now filling her heart. She really didn't care about his economical situation, she liked him just as he was. "I thought about maybe going to some fancy restaurant but I can't afford it." He glanced at her and chuckled.

"I am just a high school student after all so... I gave a long thought but nothing seemed the right thing."

"Taehyung-

"I am sorry..." He cut her off. He glanced at her, his eyes a bit glassy. Ara widened her eyes and sat straight. Her heart shrinking at the view of a sad Taehyung.

She shook her head. "Nonsense." Her eyes were full of concern for the boy. She didn't want him to feel bad.

"I am sorry for not being able to invite you to a proper date like you're used to... Or deserve to." He put the chicken back in the box as if he had lost the appetite. Ara shook her head and looked for his eyes, but he refused to look at her.

She quickly cleaned her hands with the napkin and reached for his face. Taehyung froze when he felt Ara's warm touch on his cheek. He quickly turned to look at her, only to find her smiling tenderly. "Yah... You think I don't like this date?" Taehyung remained silent as his eyes slowly followed her lips and then back at her eyes. She smiled.

"This is the most creative thing someone has ever done for me. The view is really pretty and the food is delicious. It's more than enough, so thanks Taehyungie." It was true. Her exboyfriends would usually make a reservation, they would eat at the restaurant and they would drive her back home. It was a methodic situation, always the same. She pressed her thumb against his soft cheek, rubbing slowly. Taehyung closed his eyes to the touch and smiled tenderly.

"Really?" He opened his eyes, eagerly asking like a kid. Ara chuckled and nodded. "Yes. Now let's eat before it gets cold okay?" Taehyung nodded and grabbed the piece of chicken he left on the box and took a bite. Ara laughed and took a sip of soda as they stared at each other, smiling like fools.

"The food was really delicious. I loved it... thank you." Ara thanked him as she collected all the bags and boxes to put them into a single bag. Taehyung helped her. "I am glad you liked it."

"So... What if we play a game?" He asked when he returned from dropping the bag on the trash, sitting next to Ara on the bench. She nodded eagerly.