t h i r t e e n

"So you liked your birthday?" Taehyung's mom asked as she sat next to her son. He nodded eagerly. "It was fun." He said looking now at Ara. She blushed. It flustered knowing he was referring to her. 

"I am glad you had a special day." Hyojin smiled looking at the two. She noticed how the pair looked at each other, she wondered if they knew already this is pretty much how in love people looked like.

"Ara, thank you so much again... for the gift you gave Taehyung." His mother was a grateful woman, she acknowledged all the things Ara has done for her son lately but giving him the opportunity to study in the university was beyond her expectations and she was truly grateful for that.

"It is my pleasure. It makes me happy to know tae will have a good oportunity and a future career." Hyojin smiled at the girl's sweetness. It reminded her somehow at how she used to be when she was her age. She was sweet and innocent until she met Taehyung's father.

"I am not sure how we can pay you back- Hyojin started.

"Nonsense. I told you, you don't need to worry about any of that." Taehyung looked at Ara, more like stared at her. It was a strange feeling having someone like her who cared too much about him, he wasn't used to. People would always reject him, even loved ones.

"Thank you." Hyojin said bowing her head. It embarrassed Ara since the woman was way older than her. Just when she was about to say something the door opened and doctor Kim walked in.

"Hello there... How is the patient feeling?" The doctor said as he stood next to Taehyung. Checking his heart through the machine that was next to his bed.

"I am alright doctor, a bit tired that's all." Hyojin and Ara quickly turned their heads towards Taehyung. He didn't say it before, Ara knew he didn't want to worry his mother. Dr. Kim nodded and pulled out a folder out of nowhere, his eyes were stuck on the papers inside it.

"Happy birthday." He said in English. Taehyung smiled and nodded. "Thanks doc."

"I heard you got a strawberry cake... Did you save a piece for me?" He asked now closing the folder and crossing his arms on his chest. Taehyung worriedly looked at his mother and she nodded rushing to the small fridge to get the doctor a piece of the strawberry cake.

"This looks really delicious." He said bowing as he grabbed the piece of cake. The people in the room was expectant due to the doctor's sudden visit, but he seemed focused on eating the cake first. The tension grew when he cleared his throat and opened his mouth as if he was going to say something but quickly shut it and hummed a hmm closing his eyes, pointing at the cake.

"So good." He said pointing at the plate with the fork. The rest sighed in relief since they were afraid the doctor might have bad news. Once he finished, he gave Hyojin the plate and cleaned his fingers with a napkin.

"Okay... The reason why I am here is that... We've found the donor." Every pair of eyes in the room widened including Dr. Kim's. Taehyung's mother took her hands to her mouth and rushed to hug Taehyung.

Ara was surprised too but frozen in her spot. She couldn't believe it. "Doctor kim, are you serious-

"Well of course I am. We've done already the tests and we need to do it as soon as possible since the donor is dead already." Ara frowned at the doctor's lack of touch. She was amazed of how he spoke so freely like that.

On the other hand Taehyung felt a cold shiver running down his spine. He couldn't believe his heart was going to be removed. The one he had since he came into this world, just to be replaced with someone else's. He looked down at his hands and felt his eyes filling with tears. He knew he should be happy and he was, but he was really scared too.