t w e n t y t h r e e

the whole way back to the city center was filled with so many thoughts. taehyung didn't want to think ara was avoiding him but it was barely impossible. she had agreed to go on a dinner with him but she ran away when the time came. he was sure there was something going on with her and he was determined to find out.

he spotted the familiar establishment on the distance, a couple of lights were turned on inside. he assumed it was still open but soon his assumptions turned out wrong when he noticed jinyi and woonki walking out of the restaurant. he parked his car on his usual spot across the street and waited patiently inside the car. woonki and jinyi said goodbye to ara as she took out the garbage. taehyung waited for them to walk further after getting out of the car and intercepting ara on her way back.

she widened her eyes in clear surprise. it was obvious she wasn't expecting the young man, but still he was here. "taehyung-

he didn't let her talk, in fact he was furious for being left standing like she did that afternoon. no one did that to him, not even han ara. but seeing her innocent eyes, widened at the surprise and fear, his anger soon softened. she was truly sorry, deep inside she was. But she didn't want to give explanations that's why she was avoiding him.

"why did you leave me like that?" ara didn't even think about scolding him for his informal speech, she thought he looked angry enough and she didn't want to anger him even more, after all she knew and admitted it was her fault. she looked down and swallowed hard.

"Ajumma... why did you do that?" she sighed in relief. receiving the respectful speech from taehyung somehow made her feel she was still the adult there. she dared to look at him, his precious dark eyes were hurt and they were staring at her with honesty and sadness, and maybe even some disappointment.

the blonde didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable so he lose a bit and sighed. "ajumma... it was only a celebratory dinner... to celebrate that we won the case." he said almost begging, but ara had taken a decision already and she wasn't going to change her mind. he knew by the look on her eyes that she was being honest about it.

"I am sorry taehyung." it was the only thing that ara could say. she couldn't say the words, she couldn't speak the truth. it was something that hurt her pride and she was sure it'll hurt taehyung's feelings too.

he didn't buy it. he took a step closer to her and tilted his head. his eyes eagerly demanding an answer. "please?" he said and ara knew what he meant. it was as if they were connected already. he wanted to know the reason why. 

it was painful to admit it and ara didn't want to. but remembering how taehyung helped her this afternoon, defending her case and not even charging her for it, she thought he clearly deserved a reason why.

"we shouldn't... it's not correct." it was more than obvious what these words meant and taehyung felt as if his whole world just crumbled at his feet. he couldn't believe the play destiny had for him. all the suffering he had years ago, he was having it again in the present. one of han ara's life struggles was that their age gap was too big but it wasn't compared to this one since he was probably around 80 years older but looked around 30 younger than her. either way, he knew the age gap was huge but he didn't care at all, he never did. the blonde thought how cruel destiny was. 

having ara telling him right now, for the second time in his life, caused him a pain almost unbereable, he literally had to support himself with the wall next to him. his hands resting on the cold glass wall. his breathing going faster.

ara looked at him for a second and worried. she wondered if he was having a panic attack or if he was feeling sick suddenly. "taehyung... are you okay?" she approached him but taehyung took a step back, away from her.