Chapter Twenty-Eight

"You're the missing piece to my jigsaw puzzle. You complete me"

Ruqayyah

The trip has been a lot of fun so far. Ya Ahmad is opening up more. I don't recall seeing him zoning out since we left Nigeria. I was surprised he hasn't even started his mac not even once, being the workaholic he is and all. We've made beautiful memories i'll cherish till the end of time.

Today is a special day for me, it is my birthday. I would have loved it if he knew but obviously he doesn't. I tried telling him but he's been so caught up in the moment basking in so much happiness. He wouldn't tell me what he has planned for tonight. When i asked him, he said it's a surprise, so i'm patiently waiting.

I stood by the window after praying Isha looking at the skyline. A knock came on the door so i rushed to get the door. He took so long out. Don't know what he's been up to. Work probably. But i am about to find out. Opening the door with a huge smile on my face, i was greeted with a bouquet of sweet smelling red roses.

Delivery for Mrs Abdulhamid.

He said in a French accent after struggling to pronounce the name. Almost made me laugh. He smiled handing a gift box and pushing the bouquet towards me. I struggled to collect both at the same time. Keeping the gift box on the nearest table, i reached for a vase and after pouring in water, discarded the old flowers in the bin and put the new roses. II sniffed and inhaled the beautiful roses before picking up the card that came with the delivery and read it.

Happy birthday beautiful,
I love you!

A smile crept up on my face before i placed the card on the bed. Eagerly i untied the ribbon that held the gift box in place. It cased a red sweetheart neckline with a flared skirt. On the bodice is an arrangement of swarovski stones in patterns. I ran my hand over the dress. Ya Ahmad does has a taste in clothing. Lifting the dress up, a card fell to foot of the bed. Picking it up, it read;

Wear me!

I quickly jumped in the shower.

After about twenty minutes, i stood by a mirror admiring the dress. The sound of somebody entering the room made me instinctively turn around. Behold its the husband wearing a beautiful smile on his face. That smile with the power to stop time. He paused in his tracks and he drank me in.

Wow! 

He voiced. And i twirled around on the heels of my feet.

You look absolutely stunning.

He complimented. His eyes glued to me.

Thank you.

I replied with a shy smile. He came and stood in front of me and held my hand then twirled me around again. He ran his fingers through my hair. It always gives me the shivers. A feeling from the roots of my hair down my spine and to my feet. Collecting my scrunchie from my hold, he bunched up my hair smoothing the wayward strands and tied it in a ponytail. He excused himself to go change. Before he came out, i wrapped my head in a soft peach veil then threw on a matching blazer.

Dressed in denim pants and a red shirt, he emerged from the adjoining bathroom.

Ready ?

He questioned.

I only nodded in confirmation. He sprayed himself with his perfume then stood before me. So close. For fear that he may hear the thumping in my chest, i  bent to wear my sandals. He stooped and helped me put the straps in place. Sitting up, he gave me a silver gift bag.

Happy birthday habibty. I saw your birth date when we went to renew your passport. I couldn't have forgotten the day my better half was born. Could i? Wouldn't dare.