Forty-One

This chapter is dedicated to all heartbroken readers. To those that leave comments, you make my day. For all the votes, thank you. Heartbroken is making its way up in general fiction... yay! Wouldn't have been possible without you all. From the bottom of my unbroken heart, I love you much!

Ahmad

We landed at the Nnamdi Azikwe International airport forty minutes past 7 a.m. Beautiful slept all through the flight and even during the hours transit at Istanbul. After going past the immigration check and collecting our luggage, we proceeded to where a beaming Abdulazeez was. He welcomed us and led us to where he parked his car. On the way, he congratulated both myself and Adda Roukie. He sounded very happy. His big bro will soon be a dad. Adda Roukie was so shy she kept looking away. That only made me stifle a laugh. My oh so lovely wife! Abdulazeez had to pick up something for Yusra so we made a quick stop at a store, a street away from where they live. I kept teasing Adda Roukie about being a mummy and she just smiled at each sentence. Some minutes later, Abdulazeez emerged from the store alongside Captain Umais. Seeing the both of them, i alighted the car and leaned casually on the hood as they approached me. We shook hands with Umais and talked for a few minutes. Apparently, he met with Abdulazeez in the store and Abdul mentioned that i was outside so he followed him even before he finished shopping to say hi. Before he went back to the store, he exchanged pleasantries with Adda Roukie and congratulated her on the news of the baby before bidding us all a goodnight and leaving. If only looks could kill, i would have been six feet under right now with the way Adda Roukie was glaring at me. I had to explain.

That was Umais (scratching my head). You remember the other time you were pissed cause a certain number kept calling me frequently and i kept excusing myself to answer it? (laughs) Were you suspicious of your very faithful husband then?...My! I remember i had to tell you what the call was all about and you were a bit embarrassed to hear it, you covered your ears with your hands and told me not to continue talking (laughs even harder, throwing his head back).

Her features softened and she smiled.

Well that is the same Umais. A close friend of mine dating back to undergrad. His busy schedule won't even let him visit people. He is now a naval Captain and works at Rivers state.

She nodded her head in comprehension. And just as quickly, frowned at me.

Oh about the baby issue, you can't blame a man in his mid thirties for telling his buddies on a whatsapp group chat that his wife is expecting the night he got the news. I was so excited and you wouldn't let me call Hajiya then.

I shrugged. She looked away and kept mute as we drove through the gates of Abdul's residence. Abdul was trying so hard to stifle a laugh beside me. Evil guy. He is deriving pleasure from his brother's uneasiness. When he parked and found me glaring at him, he burst out laughing and alighted the car immediately.

*
The kids came running down the stairs as soon as their father announced our arrival. Both ran straight into my waiting arms for a hug. They were shouting their welcomes and telling me something in unison before Adda Roukie cleared her throat to announce her presence. That made them run to her. Yusra descended the stairs with a huge smile carrying Kauthar in her hands. Baby Kauthar is their third born child after Khulthum. I approached them and made to carry her but she tightly clutched onto her mom in refusal. I tried again and got the same reaction. She began smiling when she saw her dad approaching. She wiggled in her mom's hold and stretched her tiny little arms towards him whom carried and tickled her, getting baby giggles in return. Soon my baby  will do the same. I pray she refuses to play with Kauthar too to avenge what she just did to her daddy. Whoa! that's a childish thought.