WGM ep. 26

Told from Dezi's- as a panelist- point of view

*****
I hurried into the studio. I was late by fifteen minutes and knew I was going to get scolded. I was all ready to start apologizing and everything but I was instantly whisked away to hair and makeup. They plopped me down onto a couch and started filming without any further comments. It was even scarier how nobody said anything. But I could tell from the stare at the director that he was going to scold me later. Or already had talked to my manager, since it wasn't actually my fault for being late.

Directors are scariest when somebody's late.

Misun-sunbae finished her introduction and the video started playing. She glanced over at me and smiled. It comforted me just a bit and I smiled back. I focused back on the video. I had missed the beginning and the video was now of Miga and Jin in a classroom of some sort. But it was a library. Wait, there are classrooms in libraries? Apparently, there are in China.

"Miss teacher, this isn't math class. I know Chinese, I'm just not good at math." Miga says. Miga's actually pretty good at math, though. She helps Mancy all the time with math homework. I continued watching, kind of confused with what was happening since I blanked out at the beginning.

The video zoomed into Miga who was nodding off. All the other panelists started laughing and making comments. I joined in, scolding Miga of how bad of a student she was.

You could see Jin poking Miga with the tip of a pencil, trying to keep her awake. In the end, the teacher woke a sleeping Miga up.

"Ah, I'm usually not like this. It's just that the lesson was about language and it's also a language that I know. I just didn't know why I was in there so I... you know, fell asleep. Actually, I was just resting my eyes. Yeah, resting my eyes." Miga said in the interview.

"Since you think you have the right to complain then fall asleep in my class, read aloud this poem," the teacher said, putting a piece of paper onto Miga's desk. Miga coughed, slowly standing up and looking at the characters. I squinted at the screen. The characters didn't look like they were Chinese. At least, not that I can see.

Miga cleared her throat and started reciting the poem. The other panelists marveled over how fluent Miga seemed at Chinese.

"You didn't read it fast enough." I thought she was pretty fast. Maybe it was an illusion I guess. "Look, I'm not a rapper. I naturally say things slow." I laughed at Miga's sarcasm that seemed to be out of this world. Since when was she this sarcastic.

Needless to say, Miga was kicked out of the classroom. Miga actually looked really accomplished by the fact that she was able to go out and not listen to that boring class anymore.

Jin, on the other hand, looked lost as the translator wasn't translating things as fast as the teacher was speaking.

Poor Jin. This is what he does in China instead of having fun. 

I was already bored just listening to the teacher without having to pay attention. "Why is this so boring?" I commented. "Like, the teacher's voice itself puts me to sleep." Eric laughed and agreed with me.

The video cut to Miga. Lively music started playing in the background and the captions: while Jin is suffering...

Miga browsed the bookshelves of the library. "There's so many books here. A lot more than the library I used to browse through in the library in my hometown." In the end, she carried many books. "Wahh, this is really my paradise." The video cut back to Jin, who stretched out a yawn. Then to Miga, who was getting comfortable in a chair and opening a book.

"Who knew that getting kicked out of class could be so comfortable," Misun-sunbae commented.

The class finally ended with the teacher finishing the lesson after another thirty minutes. Of course, the editors were kind enough to speed through that part.

In the interview room, the question was asked to both people if they learned anything when attending that class.

"Aniyo," Miga replied almost immediately. "I mean, am I supposed to? I'm pretty sure we went there just for Jin. And frankly, I don't think he learned much either."

"Uh... kind of? I learned that Miga is not a good student. And I learned a little bit of Chinese. Just the slightest."

And then the episode ended. I was surprised. This episode was really short and wasn't the most interesting. At least in my opinion. Misun-sunbae was wrapping up the episode now. I just did what I usually did which was smile and sometimes chirp in for something.

If Mancy were here right now she'd probably say something like: I hope next week's episode will be more interesting or something like that. That's how straightforward she is. But I'm not like that. I bite my tongue and agree when Misun-sunbae asks if the episode was interesting.

Since Miga and Jin haven't filmed that episode yet, we're going to react to the preview next time we film, which should be next week. I haven't received any information from Miga or our manager, which is strange but our company says that it's nothing. They just can't contact anybody right now. I'm a little worried that Miga was maybe punished for doing something wrong and she's not allowed to contact anybody.

Misun-sunbae wrapped up the filming and we all said our goodbyes. The cameras finally cut and we all stood up from our couches. I talked to Eric for some time, since we haven't seen each other in awhile. He's closer to the people in Wreath that speak English but we're friendly whenever we see each other.

The director calls me over, along with my manager. I knew I was going to get a 'friendly' reminder to come on time in the future. They never really scold us but rather our manager. I could see from my manager's annoyed look that she's not happy and can't wait to get out of this studio.

I listen to the director who goes on for ten minutes. By the time we're done with this talk, a lot of the crew were already packing up their stuffs and waving goodbye to the director.

I follow my manager into our service where we're quiet for most of the ride home. I contemplate whether o bring this up and in the end I do.

"Hey, why haven't we heard from Miga yet?" I ask, breaking the silence. My manager falls silent. "I can't tell you because I'm not sure either. But I'm sure she couldn't contact you guys because of her busy schedule or something. Don't worry, she's fine."

I lean back in my chair. I sure hope she's fine...