Chapter 1

MinHo

I light a cigarette and stuck in my mouth before getting on my daily chores at home which includes sweeping and mopping of floors, it is not that my parents forced me to do it.

It's my decision to move out of my house to a smaller apartment to avoid them pestering me about every small thing, at least I don't do drugs apart from the smoking and drinking.

I had tons of piercings and hidden tattoos that I did but it was all of a form of self-expression, I had to be different from the others so that I can stand out. The only way to survive high school is to be different from the others, that's how you survive. I am not that good in studies but at least I get to pass the exams even though I don't really go to school.

My phone dinged, I looked at the text.

Song HaRa

Coming for lunch?

I rolled my eyes at the message. Don't she have money to buy food? I don't work for free.

I ignored the message and continued watering the plants, the telephone suddenly ringed and I nearly dropped the water can which I would have to clean it up. I walked into the living room to pick up the call, it must be her, I'm certain.

I exhaled before speaking. "Hello--"

"SONG MINHO!--" I pulled away from the phone, that was loud. I placed the phone on on-hold and tried to confirm that I can still hear by clapping my hands. Still can hear that clap, my hearing is still normal. I placed the phone to my ear again after doing that.

"What is it, noona?"

"How dare you ignore my texts?"

"I was doing chores, my bad. Where are you now, Noona?"

"At the doorstep. Open up." I put the phone down and dragged my body to open the door, a petite woman of average height was at the door with her signature bitch face on.

She covered her nose with her hands. "What's that smell? You've been smoking again right? Didn't I tell you to quit?"

"I know but I just can't. Once you get addicted, you can never go back." I walked back into the kitchen grabbing the ingredients needed.

"You are going to die before I do if you continue." She said throwing away all the ashes in the ashtray into the toilet. It hasn't been full yet.

I sighed. "At least I have someone to take charge of my funeral. Thanks a lot."

She looked at my worksheets. It is all empty. "You skipping school again? Didn't I tell you--"

"I know but I submit my work on a weekly basis. I still do my homework and I still go to the academy."

"Without even going to school? You're in your final year, dongsaeng. How are you going to even go to college?"

"I have my own ways and I will prove that I would go to one of the best universities next year."

"Better do that and our parents would be proud that you are able to survive even if you are living alone and with no tutor. You're doing well, dongsaeng." She said coming close to pat my head.

Rest assured, noona.

-------------

MiWon

I arrived at the academy by walking the long way in order to avoid those from my school going to the same after school academy. I managed to buy a few triangle Kimbap before that so that I can eat during class.

I sat in my seat and ate my Kimbap. Finally peace again. An arm sling over mine and an ominous aura emitted from it. It has begun again...

"Wow, these kimbaps are delicious but why aren't you sharing it with us?" He said with his tobacco smell in his mouth.

"Song Minho..." I uttered in my breath. I stopped eating my Kimbap and placed it on the table. I took out the extra worksheets that I got from the teacher and gave it to him with my head hanging low as usual.

"Your worksheets..." I said and he grabbed it away violently.

"Thanks. Thought that you would've forgotten that, nerd." He said placing a hand on my head and messed up my hair.

His men pushed my head so hard that it hit the table right on. "You forgot to say thanks, you bitch. Bad manners you have." He said and all of them laughed as loud as they can.

I could only lift my head up after they had left to sit at their seats. That was humiliating but there are only a few more months before I would graduate and disappear from this school forever. I had already booked plane tickets to school in one of the most prestigious universities in New Zealand. Of course without my parents knowing.

They can't be bothered to even know if I am doing well in school or not. All they do is just work and work. Both of them are workaholics, plus I am an only child. There is no one at home to play with. I sighed and took out the work that I am supposed to do for today. I don't get why they have to give so homework when they would give more during the academy.

A hand snatched away my history booklet. "Have you done all the homework that the teacher gave today?"

"Hey..." I said under my breath and I tried to snatch it back but failed... as always.

"Did you or did you not?" She said flipping through the pages and threw it towards my face.

"Ah!" I said and touched my face. It fucking hurts a lot, why must she throw it in my face?

"Oops! Sorry, did I hit your ugly face too much?" She said and her gang laughed at me with their super annoying high pitched voice that I swear that the windows are going to shatter because of them.

I looked at them with tears forming in my eyes, face red due to the hit that I got from the leader. "What's with that staring? Trying to fight me?" She came closer and pinched my cheeks which are a hundred times more painful than the other two times.

"Tell you what, it will take a thousand years for you to do that, Na MiWon." She raised her hand up.

"Oops, I meant never ever." Her hand coming closer to my face and I closed my eyes due to natural instinct.

I expected it to be a slap but there was no slap. I couldn't even hear the slapping sound. "Stop it right now, Min HeeRi." A male voice said and I opened my eyes.

It was Song Minho. "What are you trying to do to me, Song Minho?"

"Telling you to get lost. Don't do anything to her." He said and Min HeeRi yanked her hand by force.

"Why? You like her?" The whole class coo'ed in response.

Now that I realised, other than just calling me names, he never raised his voice at me or hit me before. Could he... "Nope, I just didn't want anyone to bully her other than me. Get it?"

I just knew it. "Aye...." They all said and went back to their seats.

I looked towards him who is taking his seat at the end of the classroom and mouthed a 'thanks' to him. He didn't have any response but his face is noticeably red. What's wrong with him?