Chapter 54

Minho

I waved goodbye to the boys that I have been drinking all evening with, I have always enjoyed drinking with them as I am able to be comfortable with them. They are my closest friends and the only friends that I would ever have in my life, I wouldn't want to make any more friends if they aren't as good as the two, only JiHoon and SungJong could understand me the best other than my own family which only consisted of my older sister since I am not close with my parents at all.

If I have a choice to choose 2 people in the world to be my friends and my brothers, it would be the two of them and I will not choose anyone else. They were there when I needed them and I was there when they needed my help, if not for their help and cooperation with me, I wouldn't have saved Miwon from Nam Daehwan. It was all thanks to my 2 best friends that we pulled off this entire thing, I would've died straight away if I was on my own.

I was just lucky to have known JiHoon and SungJong in my life, I wouldn't know what to do without the two of them. I made my way home without calling for a substitute driver as I drank the least out of my friends and I would always prefer to walk home to sober up and plus, I love looking at the scenery and the night view of the neighbourhood that I live in, it is very refreshing and I love it.

I made my way into my apartment and I noticed that the lights were on, I clearly remembered that I switched off the lights when I left the house in the morning before going to work, maybe my older sister is still up and she is watching her usual Korean dramas on the television. But the television isn't on and my older sister Hara isn't at home at all, an older male figure was in replacement of her.

It was my father, the person that I wouldn't want to see the most, the person that didn't want me to appear in front of him or he will smack me on the head. Why is he here for? Has he realized that his beloved older daughter is now staying with her younger brother? But it has been a long time ever since my older sister moved in with me and it was more than a year that she started living with me and she pays me to rent every month even though I told her that it is free of charge.

He turned around and looked at me, he didn't look like he is going to kill me or anything, he looked like he had something to talk to me about. "Minho, your apartment is looking very normal unlike yourself."

"I thought that you said that you will never come to visit me ever again? Why the sudden change in mind?" I asked him, still trying to keep a safety distance away from him, I got a feeling that he is going to hit me with something as soon as he gets up.

"You reeked of alcohol, did you went drinking?" He asked me a question, completely not answering my question at all.

"I did. So what? Are you going to ground me or something?" And it is not like I am some teenager below the legal drinking age, I am a university student who is always working part-time to support himself. And he can't ground me either because he has long thrown me out of the household and I am probably not included in the family registry as well because I am a disgrace to my own family.

I got dragged out of my own apartment by my father to a roadside tent and we are seated together at the same table and he is ordering more drinks as well along with some side dishes, I thought that I was done with drinking but I was wrong and I can't say no to my own father. He is going to smack me if I don't listen to him which is an irony because I am now in this state because I disobeyed him and got kicked out of the house as a result.

I looked around awkwardly not knowing what to do, I have not gone in the same space as my father for a very long time and I wasn't very close to him from the very start, I don't even remember the last conversation that we even had with each other and now I am here forced by my father to have some drinks with him.

"Pour me a drink." I immediately grabbed a soju bottle and poured it in a small cup and handed it to him with both hands. "For yourself as well."

I finished pouring for myself as well and he raised his cup a little, looking at me with his eyebrow slightly raised and I knew what he wanted me to do, I clicked my glass with him and I downed the entire glass in one shot. "Great, you know how to drink. It is the first time that we are drinking together and it was awkward." He reached for the side dishes. "Have some too, you wouldn't want to bet drunk so quickly right?"

I kept silent for the entire time as my father gradually became drunk glass by glass and he began to ramble on and on about useless things that probably mattered a lot to him but not as much to me because I am not included in it. It is weird for the two of us to meet each other again after 3 years of not seeing each other and we are now drinking with each other the first thing that we do, I have not done such a thing with my father ever since I grew up and I wished that I had done it earlier.

I missed out a lot on the 3 years that I wasn't in his life and my mother's life, I don't know what happened during that time and although my older sister told me bits and pieces of it, I refused to listen because I was still mad at my father for kicking me out and I had to spend the first month trying to find a place to stay while not having a single cent on myself, I struggled so hard living on my own and I wished that I was still living with my parents so that they can help me financially.

But now it is all cleared to and I am living in the apartment that I rented for a good price and I liked it a lot, it has been more than 4 years living without my parents and I have gotten used to it. And I sometimes wished that my father was there for me so that I could depend on him once in a while and not having to face all of these problems on my own.

My father was rambling on and on about him being so stubborn and I have gotten his traits, that is why he hadn't apologized to me for kicking me out of the house and he wished that he didn't do that. I was stubborn as well and refused to move back home even when my mother and my older sister told me repeatedly to move back home, I told them that I was totally capable of living alone and I did it.

He was proud of me that I have done well in my final examinations in high school and is now pursuing a degree in psychology, it was something that he never expected me to do and he was proud that I have grown up to do good and not be that same old gangster who doesn't change at all. When I told him that it was because of Na Miwon that I decided to change my life around, he was in tears and told me to bring her back home to meet them.

He was eager to make her his daughter-in-law and he was happy that there was someone who was willing to love me if she would admit it herself that she is willing to love me and not think that I was a curse in her life. If only she would think that way...

I helped my father into the car, I called for him a substitute driver to bring him back home and I told the driver to drive a little slower for my father's sake. "Happy belated birthday, Mr Song. And I will bring your future daughter-in-law to meet you soon." I said to him before the car drives off and I was in tears, as I watched the car drive out of sight.

I stifled my tears as I tried not to burst out crying, it is not a manly thing to do and I am in public where everyone can see me. But it was a good cry, I haven't cried that much in so long and I was happy that I managed to reconcile with my father. I would have refused to see him until the end of my life if he didn't come to my apartment earlier this night but I am glad that I made things up with him.

I was about to make my way home until I saw smoke coming out from a far distance and it seemed to have come from the hotel that I am working part-time at, I confirmed it with my eyes when I got closer to it. Na Miwon, she is inside there. I have to go save her!