Chapter 47

Miwon

I am afraid of the dark, I am really afraid of it due to a reason, I was left alone most of the time when I was younger because my parents are always so busy with work and the servants that they hired often ended their work at night, after they have made sure that I am already tucked in bed and they have switched off the lights for me. But I would always switch it back once they have left the room and gotten out of the house, I didn't like the lights being switched off, it scares me and I don't like it.

There is no one next to me who will read me bedtime stories, all the kids around my age would have their parents read to them their favourite bedtime stories and they will immediately fall asleep listening to their parents' comforting voices and the assurance that they will be there to protect them from monsters and ghosts who will haunt them in their nightmares. My parents didn't do all of them at all, they both have jobs that require them to be at work most of the time, even on weekends.

My father was a police officer who works in the dangerous crime unit which meant that he is on standby all the time to be ready to act out his mission as soon as he gets information about the suspect that he will be arresting. Because of that, he is always sleeping at the police station and doesn't come home for most of the time and I will only get to see him on Sundays where he would get a day off and he would take me out to play but it wouldn't last long because he would have to go back to the police station to arrest the suspect.

My mother, on the other hand, has a very regular job that most working adults have but her job involves her taking care of the company that she had built from scratch even before she gave birth to me and she is a very well-known workaholic out of all the people that I have known during that time, she comes home late at night after I have presumably fallen asleep and she would come into my room to check in on me when in fact I was only pretending to be asleep so that she would think that the servants have done a good job of taking care of me but the only thing that I want is for one of them to quit their jobs or to work a little lesser so that they would take care of me and not push it to the servants to do the parenting for them.

Because of that, I have spent most of my childhood just sitting on my bed and waiting till my mother comes back home from work so that I would finally fall asleep and during my teenage years, I have spent most of my nights studying nonstop so that I have something to do during the night but she wasn't always at home, she rented an apartment which is of a few million near her workplace and she rarely comes home.

And I have become even more lonely because of that and I have yearned for the day where I could be able to sleep with the lights off but that day didn't come, my parents divorced when I was still in middle school and my family was broken for real, never repaired again. I have been even more afraid of being in the dark and now I am being forced into being in the dark because he forced me to be in it.

I am being tied up again, with the duct tape taped across my mouth and the cloth wrapped around my eyes but now he blocked my ears with a noise-cancelling headphone which is blasting nothing but a children's shoe's theme song, it is harmless when you listen to it when you can see and talk but not when you are in this kind of a situation, it is torturing you bit by bit as you listen to the same song over and over again and it doesn't stop at all, it just continues to play and play over and over again.

I thought that Nam Daehwan wasn't as intelligent as he was back in high school because he flunked his studies back then and barely showed any interest in studying other than to wreak havoc and create chaos all around the school and outside where he is and is still an active gang member, but he has managed to make me fear him just by forcing me to listen to a children's song over and over again like it is on a broken Cassette tape.

This form of a torture isn't something that he had just invented to annoy me and to control me but it is a very popular type of torture that the military police uses to torture suspects to confess their wrongdoings to them, it may seem harmless and ridiculous at first but it slowly adds up to the annoyance of the song and by 24 hours, your brain and body functions will start to slide, your train of thoughts will start to slow down ND your will is broken. Before long, most of those suspects who were being tortured will be willing, to tell the truth to the officers just to escape that hell and never to return back to that state ever again.

Although I know that Nam Daehwan is not trying to extract any information from me, he is just doing that to make me feel tired and not want to fight back anymore. With me being tortured by endless loops of music playing has helped him a lot in keeping me hostage and also to wait for the person that he has been waiting for all these while, Song Minho who is most probably out there still searching for me. I wonder if he had tracked my whereabouts...

It has been almost 24 hours since I have been kidnapped and he isn't here to get me out, I wonder if he is alright. I don't really mind if I would get to survive at the end of the day but I want him to be alive so that I can be happy as well. I really hope that he gets here soon...