chapter 67

Songs for this Chapter:

Oblivion - Bastille

Do It Like A Dude - Jessie J

Smile - Avril Lavigne

-

Niall's P.O.V

The doctor leads me and Andy down the hallway that smells strictly of rubber gloves and old glue.

"She's fine, don't worry." The doctor tells me before she opens the door.

"Is she still asleep?" I ask. My hand runs over the folded blanket that Alex brought.

"She's far from asleep, but she's fine." The doctor laughs like she's put up with Alex being awake for a while.

I go inside of the room and it's obvious that Alex is on laughing gas. She's just sitting there talking to herself about things that don't even make sense.

"Niiiall! Andy!" She looks over at us, reaching one arm out towards us. We walk towards Alex and she takes the blanket from me. Andy busts out laughing when he sees Alex take the blanket instead of giving me a hug like I expected.

"Hello, blanky. My little blanky. You're a big blanky now, aren't you, blanky?" She unfolds it and shoves it in the corner of the bed.

"Andy! You're plane landed back on the ground. I missed you, I feel like crying. Are you happy? I'm happy." She says dragging her words, then speeding them up and laughing. 

"I missed you too and yes, I'm happy. How's was your surgery?" I stand at the end of her bed and watch her hug her brother, and continue laughing for no apparent reason.

"I'm about to get it." Alex nods.

"You already got it, Bunny." I tell her while I walk over to the chair and get my cell phone and check the time. It's eleven in the morning. I know I'm going to make it to work by noon. I can't go to work.

"I have to make a quick call," I get Andy's attention from Alex because he hasn't seen her in a while. He nods and I go out of the room and ring up Spencer.

"Tell her that I hope she feels better," Spencer sympathizes.

"Hey, um, Libby wants to talk to you." He sounds as if he already knows what's going to happen.

"Hi, Niall!"

Shit.

"Hi, Libby. What are you doing?"

"Is Alex better?" I can hear her crunching chips in her mouth.

"No, she had to come to the hospital. I'm here with her right now. Um, so I can't come to work today, Libby." I wait for a response from the small child, but I don't get one. A hitting noise is all I hear and a static, until Spencer says hello repeatedly.

"I didn't hang up. What's wrong with your phone?" I ask.

"She dropped it and tried to run off, but I closed my office door and now she's underneath my desk." He chuckles and I join him. All kids are bit dramatic.

"Why is she screaming?" I turn down the volume down on my phone before she busts the only speaker I have on my phone.

"She's crying," He tells her to get from underneath his desk and I hear her shout "no" in refusal.

"I have to get her. She's throwing a tantrum." Spencer says and we end the call.

I walk back in Alex's room and she's still giggling.