the-oh-so-amazing-family

INCOMING NOTIFICATION: You have been added to The Oh So Great Family group.

I think we all know the pain of when Great Aunt Miriam discovers social media, and then...

She creates a family group chat, to keep in touch with your family all over the world. And you somehow get added to a group with family members you have never heard of?

So, this isn't that bad yet...

Now everyone begins to notice that there is this new group, so everyone starts saying "Hi" and whatnot.

Then you start receiving those daily messages, or recipes from that aunt who knows nothing about flavours or taste. I guess sorta okay to receive those messages because we can always mute the group. Right?

Wrong!

Then those members start sending you private messages, each and every single day.

Do they not realise how little data you get a month? It's probably worse when you run out of data in the middle of the month, then when you are back online, you suddenly get 200 notifications of those goddamn lame ass pictures, jokes, memes.

HOW TO HANDLE THIS WITHOUT YOU GETTING GREY HAIR:

My Self Control Is A Problem:

Just make an excuse saying that you love these messages but your schoolwork is suffering from being addicted to the group. And also the fact that you don't have enough self control to resist talking to your sweet aunt and uncles.

A Complain Fest:

Just be honest, and tell them that you hate those lame jokes, pictures and everything about that group.  They will probably gang up on you and kick you out for being rude, but GO BIG OR GO HOME, right?

Settings:

Change your messenger settings, to stop downloading their godforsaken pictures on your data or Wi-Fi. Not to mention those horribly lame and sometimes racist videos old people tend to send.

Spam:

Every time that they message you, just report them as spam. I don't actually know what happens after they are reported as spam but hopefully it's something good.

Sorry But This Number Does Not Exist Anymore:

Get a new number pronto! Don't give your number to just anyone, and I am not talking about those internet perverts, I am talking about family members.

A Block Here, A Block There:

Who gives a fudge if they give you the stink eye on the next family holiday. Man up and deal with it.

Goodbye App:

Maybe it's time to let go of your favourite app. If Great Aunt Miriam just found this app, it tells you one thing, and that is that it is now for older people...

◼⬛◼

Written by girls who have experienced so much cringe from family group chats.

Comment if you agree with this chapter.