fic-of-fan

If you read as much as we Double D's authors do, then you might have encountered fanfictions in your online ventures and maybe you've read some before.

Now, I'm not going to lie, the number of good fanfictions out there is... scarce to put it nicely.

And sometimes, when you do find a good fanfiction, it's either discontinued or takes forever to update.

Now, I have nothing against slow updating fics since I understand that some chapters just take that long to come into fruition, but I also recognize the frustration we feel as readers when an update takes literal months to come.

So, my fellow human beings, here are a few tips to help you find the perfect fanfic for you!

THE ART OF FANFICTING:

Over the Rainbow:

Don't be afraid to broaden your horizons. There are many sites out there that has some good fanfiction. Tumblr and Archive of Our Own are just the tips of the iceberg because let's face it fam, Wattpad isn't the best place to look for fanfics. Do some research and see what sites you can find that will cater to your wants and needs when it comes to fanfiction.

For Your Entertainment:

Once you've found that perfect site(s), make sure you know what type of fic you're in the mood for. This is an important thing to know about yourself when you go into a fanfic search. Do you feel just meh where you'll just browse about? Or do you want angst with comfort? Hey, maybe you're leaning towards a sweet oneshot! Are you looking for a fanfic for your OTP, or for one with your ship-wrecker? Only you can know these things, and like stated before, it's important you know what you're in the mood for. It makes browsing easier and less time-consuming.

The Tagging System:

Now that you have an idea of what you want to read, it's time to use that infamous tagging system! A lot of bigger sites out there has this function, and it definitely makes searching a whole lot better and can narrow down the specifics that you want. If the site you're one does not have a tagging system, fear not, Google is here to save the day. Just type in the site then some key words and voila!

 Just type in the site then some key words and voila!

Warnings and Triggers:

You will often find on fiction certain warnings or more specifically trigger warnings. Pay careful attention to these. There are many instances in which I didn't pay attention to them and ended up walking into something I wasn't mentally prepared to read, and you definitely do not want to do this. Always be aware of your limitations when you spot these warnings. Do you think you could handle the graphic descriptions of gore? Are you up for reading about underage drinking and drug usage? It's good to know what you're going to read about so you can mentally prepare yourself, unlike some idiots out there (*cough*awkward_tumbleweed*cough*).

Appreciation:

This one is really important, so read me carefully

ALWAYS VOTE, REBLOG, COMMENT ETC!

Fanfic writers do what they do because of the love of the fandom. They never get paid. They have lives too. Which is a terrifying thought because of how productive they must be in order to write multiple things a day, study or work a job. Not to mention socialising with humanity. If you do this, you'll also make their profile more popular. And thus making it easier for others to find good writing. Often every single vote and comment inspires them to keep on writing, everyone needs to feel appreciated. So do your part, and a reminder to also vote for us ;)

Time is Gold:

Last, but certainly not least, you have to know how much time you can spend reading fanfiction. I know, I know, we're a bunch of procratinators here, but sometimes when you're travelling or just waiting for school to start, you want to squeeze in just one more story. For this, you have to know what type of reader you are. Are you fast, are you slow, or do you speed read through fics? Based off this, you can be responsible with your time but still have fun!

◼⬛◼

Happy readings, you crazies!!