fairy-godmother-job-opening

Senior Year. Graduation year. Matric. Final Year. Whatever you may call it. The last year of high school is a big one indeed.

And along with the leadership positions, senior privileges and designated seating areas theres one important event we believe you should be prepared for. No! Not that event. Thats way above our level of intellect. But if you thought about something along the lines of a dance then yes.

Yes, youre right. Its none other than your PROM or as we South Africans call it, the Matric Dance!

And do you know what the biggest struggle of prom is?

Finding the perfect dress. So before you rush out to find your perfect Cinderella fairytale dress. Take a moment to read, and don't forget to tap the little star at the end!

ADVICE FROM YOUR FAIRY GODMOTHER:

Hey Buzzfeed:

Dresses may seem like easy business, but trust me once you start, youll be completely overwhelmed with choices. Lace? Cashmere? Velvet? Best thing to do in this case is to find your style first. Are you a short dress person? Long dress? Maybe wedding dresses suit your fancy. I recommend a reliable quiz to help you along the way.

Rainbow Nation:

Once you have your style figured out, your next step is colour. What type of colour will suit you best? Remember to consider lighting and time of day as this as a huuuge impact on the colour you wear. You dont want to end up looking like a summer's day in the middle of a winter's night! And don't forget to take that jacket mommy's always reminding you of!

Treasuuuuure:

Or as we common folk call it, jewellery. Now. You may think that dressing to paint the town red is the way to go here. But remember, less is more. Its your prom. Youre a person. Not a Christmas Tree. Keep the sparkly things to a minimum if youll be spending a lot of time in the sun and remember to wear minimal sparkles, you dont want to end up blinding the photographer. Or worse. Ruining all the photos because your chest decided to emirate a strange otherworldly silvery glow in every single picture.

If The Shoe Fits:

To all my fellow shorties out there, never fear. Heels were invented for a reason. Whether youre a 2-inch type or brave enough to rock stilettos, your shoes must be complementary to the rest of your outfit. Make sure your shoes dont stand out more than you do, unless they are that beautiful! So look up some popular colour schemes and tips for shoes vs clothes to find your perfect match.

PS. This is perfect! Comment if you agree :)

 This is perfect! Comment if you agree :)

Princess Diaries Meet Clowns:

Hair. If you're fortunate enough to grow your own hair, then congratulations! If not get extensions, or a wig. Preferably not a neon green wig, you don't want your great- grandchildren to think you went as a clown for prom! Most of us want to feel like a princess, so if you lack your knight in shining armour, just get a tiara! And for those wanting to be a queen, just go to prom with a sack of apples, a mirror and crown. But don't forget your evil laugh!

 But don't forget your evil laugh!

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe:

The great thing about modern prom is that there are SO many ways to do hair and makeup. Salons and stylists are definitely an option, but in the age of DIY, it's wonderful that it's not the ONLY option (especially for broke people like us). Years of girls wanting to perfect their hair and makeup have led to SO many styles. On the side of hair, there's curly, straight, somewhere in between, up, down, halfway up, fancy, simple, modern, traditional—you could even go for an Afro if it so pleases you. With makeup, there's full coverage, barely there, light and natural, dark and smoky, pops of color, full brows, full lips, full... cheekbones (we're looking at you, highlighter), and the list goes on. Long story short, you don't have to feel confined to more traditional styles. In fact, we encourage you to try whatever style makes you feel beautiful. Even though the saying is cringey at this point, you only live once, right? Enjoy yourself!

Say Yes to the Dress:

Hey! Maybe, in the end, it's not about having the perfect dress. Perfection is easy to forget. Go with something that'll make your peers remember you for the rest of their lives! Remember that one tacky, '80s dress you saw at Goodwill the other day? Or how about the animal print overalls they were selling at Walmart? Lolitas are an option as well!

◼⬛◼

Go crazy and have fun! After all, that's what prom is all about.

Shout out to all the students out there who don't have prom! It's nothing to write home about, really, unless you have an epic story to share with us!

Nishsai_V has her matric dance this Saturday any advice?!