seven

He pulled in front of my house. I quickly got out and ran to the front door without saying goodbye.

"I'll text you later, Amy." He yelled out the window, then drove off. I didn't even turn around.

I burst into the door.

"Mom!" I yelled out. "Mom, where are you?!"

She walked into the living room.

"Amy, honey, I was waiting for you to get back and- and- what's all over your face?"

I pulled out my phone and looked at my reflection.

"Is- is that cake?" She pointed her finger at the chunk of chocolate cake on my cheek.

Never mind that. WHAT HAPPENED?"

"I thought, while I was waiting, I should think of some ideas to do and stuff. Well I couldn't think really think of anything that teens like to do so I thought I would just google some things. I started looking for my phone and I realized I left it in the car."

My eyes widened. I remembered I drove the car to see Jack at FoodCity. He gave me a ride home.

"-and I went outside and he car was gone."

I didn't know what to say.

"Are you serious?" I asked, eyes still wide.

"Yeah, let me see your phone." She said, reaching for it.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Because, mine was in the car." She shot back at me, then stepped forward, reaching her hand out still.

"Why do you need a phone though?"

"TO CALL THE POLICE!" She yelled, I could tell she was frustrated.

"Oh, well, we don't need the police involved in this." I nervously said.

"Amy, hun, I think you need a nap. Our car was stolen, the police need to be involved." She said, pushing me towards the stairs.

I started to worry. If we got the police involved, Mom or I could get arrested because they'll eventually find out that I was the one who drove it to that parking lot. If I told Mom it was me, she would kill me and would end up getting arrested. There was no way out of it. Unless-

"Mom, let me handle this. Let me find the car." I told her. She stopped pushing me.

"And how do you expect to do that?" She crossed her arms.

I honestly didn't know what to say but I knew exactly what I was going to do.

"But Mom if you call the police, they'll be here, questioning us all night. What about our Girl's Night?" I said, feeling bad because the disappointment I was expressing was fake.

"Amy, the car. It's more important than-" she stopped.

I was actually surprised that those words left her mouth. They actually did hurt my feelings. I stared at her. I felt my cheeks turning hot.

"I mean, that car was a lot of money, I didn't mean-" I stopped listening and turned to run upstairs. I slammed the door behind me and locked it. I didn't hear Mom coming up the stairs.

She really cared about that car more than me.

Wow.

I ran to my bed and buried my face in my pillow. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I took it out and saw my reflection. My face was so red, and there were still a few smudges of cake on my cheeks. I wiped them off.