forty-four

"I'm Jacob." He said, holding his hand out for a handshake with a smile plastered across his face."

"I'm Amy." I replied, then shook his hand.

"Are you new here? I haven't really seen you around before." He asked.

"Uh, yeah it's my first day and uh-"

"It's your first day and you're already hitting people with doors!" He joked.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Nah, it's cool. It's my fault, I'm always in the way." He laughed.

"No, no, you weren't." I insisted. "I should've knocked or something first."

"It's okay." He shook it off. "So which station are you suppose to be doing right now?" He asked.

"Stocking the shelves." I replied.

"Oh, cool. That's one of my favorites." He said. "Mind if I show you what to do?" He asked.

"Um, sure, sounds great."

"Cool, follow me." He smiled, then led me to the stacks of shelf items.

"First off, we need a cart." He said, then walked around the corner. I knew he'd gotten one when I heard the rattling of the wheels become louder and louder.

"Now we put the items in the cart." He said clearly, in a jokingly manner. "With care!" He added, then picked up a container of rice and gently placed it into the cart, causing me to slightly giggle.

"Now, you try." He said.

I slowly approached a box of rice with my hands and gently picked it up, being sure to firmly grasp it so it doesn't slip out of my hands. I lifted the box and hovered it over the cart.

"Carefully!" He said loudly, causing me to jump.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" He laughed, then put his hands on my shoulders.

Smooth.

I wasn't really sure if he was throwing any hints or anything.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out without thinking and looked at the screen.

Rachel: AMY SKSKSKS
Unknown: YOOOO
Unknown: KRKSKDNS
Unknown: ANSWER US PLS
Rachel: WHERE ARE YOU, WE'RE HERE

Somebody made a groupchat. I was confused.

As I was trying to unlock my phone, it was suddenly jerked from my hands.

"Hey!" I yelled.

"No phones on duty." Jacob said, holding my phone.

"I was literally just checking one message." I replied, sassily.

"Do you wanna get fired?"

"Um, yes?!"

"Then why are you even working here?"

"Because my Mom made me."

"Why?"

"Stop being so nosey and give me my phone back!" I shouted.

I snatched my phone from his hand. I then unlocked my phone and looked at the messages.

I replied:
I'M CONFUZZLED ASDFGHJKL

Rachel: AMY SKSKSKS WHERE ARE YOU WE'RE HERE

Me: WHERE AM I SUPPOSE TO BE

Rachel: YOU WERE SUPPOSE TO MEET HALEY & TORI & I AT THE MALL