thirty-seven

My heart was beating so fast. My throat felt tingly. I felt like I was going to vomit.

Why does Food City have to have such good deals?

I panicked more and more as we got closer and closer to Food City.

I saw that familiar neon sign and my stomach dropped as we passed it.

I really hope he doesn't make me go in there with him.

We pulled into a random parking space. It wasn't one close to the door, but there were some closer ones open.

He looked at himself in the mirror once more before opening the door and stepping out. I watched him as he closed the door and walked around the car.

"You coming?" He asked.

"Uh. Yeah." I fake smiled.

Why did I say yeah? Idiot.

"Well, come on." He said.

"Oh. Yeah, sorry." I slowly opened the door. I looked down for the step but I didn't see it anywhere. I took my chance and slid down slowly to the ground. Me being my clumbsy self, the waist of my leggings got caught onto the reclining lever of the seat. I heard ripping sounds as I dangled about 4 inches off of the ground by my pants.

I look at Rye who laughed at me.

"Here." He said, the grabbed my side's and lifted me free. He put me on the ground gently. "Are you okay?" He laughed.

"Yeah." I said, laughing back, awkwardly.

I looked at my pants. The waist was stretched and looked very wrinkled.

I pulled my shirt down over to hide it. "Are you ready now?"

I nodded. We walked to the door together. Once we reached the door, he tried sliding his hand into mine. I quickly reacted by throwing both of my hands up and pulling my hair back.

His reaction was to put his hand on my back.

I felt anxious in this building. Especially because I was with Rye.

I started walking slower, trying to think of an excuse to go back to the car. Unfortunately, I didn't.

But I did, however, have an excuse.

Before we walked through the second set of doors I turned to Rye.

"Rye, I'm gonna go to the ladies room, I'll meet you back at the car."

"Okay." He nodded. I stopped behind him, waiting for him to go on. After walking about 2 feet, he turned around. "I think they're over there." He pointed.

"Oh, okay. Thank you I nodded. I stepped inside the store and looked around.

And there he was, at his register. There was a line. He was busy.

I threw on my hood and looked just past him at the restroom area. I looked back at him. I had to walk past him to get there. I stepped inside the door completely, then turned my head at the shelves in the opposite direction from him.

I didn't run. I didn't want to look suspicious. I walked fast like I was in a hurry.

Multicolored boxes of cereal with animal mascots and canned goods were what I watched as I fled past the guy who I knew as Cashier Boy.

Once I finally reached my desination, I looked at the signs to avoid going into the wrong room.

As I opened the door, I noticed there was someone there. Standing in the mirror. Not gonna lie, they did scare me a little. I went straight into a stall and locked the door. I don't think she knew I came in.

"Yeah, he works here." The voice said. I've heard that voice from somewhere. Nobody else was in here, so I assumed she was talking on the phone. "I don't know." She continued.

I listened closer.

"Yeah, but to be that cute, he has to have a girlfriend already." She paused as the other person spoke. "Yeah, yeah, Okay. I will. Thanks, Bec. Okay. Byyye!" There was a beep sound. I heard the door open, then close.

I stepped out of the stall, startled to see that the person was still there. She was texting someone. I tried to run back into the stall but she saw me.

"Amy?" She said.

"Heyyyy Klista." I said. "What are you doing here?"

"Just shopping." She replied.

"Oh, wow. Would've never guessed." I laughed.

She laughed back. It sounded fake but I wasn't sure if it was or not.

"Yeah, well, I'll talk to you later." She said, then walked out the door.

"Yeah, well. See you later." I waved.

I went to the mirror. I looked like trash. My mascara was slightly smeared so I fixed it, kinda. Rye should be finished by now. If he wasn't, I told him I would meet him at the car anyway. I exhaled deeply then exited the bathroom.

I looked at the cereal boxes and cans once more then looked at the front exit ahead.

All of a sudden, I felt a tug on my arm.

I turned around and was about to swing a fist until I saw that it was Rye.

"Here she is." He said, pointing at me. I looked up.

His face turned from a pink color to a pale white when he saw me. He swallowed then looked back at Rye.

My mouth was hung open. "I- um-" I said, then swallowed my words. He shot a fake smile and a slight nod at Rye. I felt Rye's heavy arm drape around my shoulder.

Jack turned all of his attention back to his job. "Your change, Ma'am." He said, then handed the change to the costumer. "Thank you." The same voice from the bathroom said. Klista took the change then stood there for a moment.

"Well, hit me up sometime, mate." Rye said to Jack and turned us around to the exit.

I heard Klista start talking again. "Hey are you-" She was cut off when Rye's phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Yeah, Mom, I got everything."

"I'm walking out to the car right now, I'll be home in about 15."

"Okay. Love you too. Bye."

* * *

A/N: Y'ALL HATE ME I KNOW. I'M SO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED. MY SCHOOL TOOK US ON A TRIP TO CHICAGO FOR A FEW DAYS AND IT WAS LIKE A TEN HOUR DRIVE THERE AND WE WERE BUSY THE WHOLE TIME AND I JUST GOT BACK A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND I'VE BEEN SO TIRED. PLEASE DON'T HATE ME <3

God Bless. I love you. You're amazing and important. Thank you. (:

Much love ❤