forty-three

I waited on top of the stairs for my Mom to pick me up. I was so ready to go home and just take a nap.

I saw my Mom's car pull into the parking lot. She pulled up to the bottom of the stairs as I walked down and got into the car.

"How was school?" She asked as I got situated in my seat.

"Interesting." I smiled, thinking of Rye.

"Ah, well your day is about to get even more interesting!" A smile spread across her face.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You got the job!" She squealed.

"What job?" I asked, then remembered the application.

"The one at Food City." She reminded.

"Oh, yay!" I sarcastically cheered.

"Yay!" She imitated. "So I'll pick you up at around 8 tonight-"

"Woah woah woah. Tonight?" I questioned.

"Yeah, your shift starts at 4."

"Today?!"

"Yes, Amy, TODAY!" She made it super clear.

"Are you serious?!"

She didn't reply. She just gave me the Mom look and I knew that was my que to shut up.

All my mind could think of was how awkward working there would be because of Jack.

I don't have to worry about Jack anymore. I have Rye.

Jack has someone else now. Jack has Klista.

I don't think it'll be awkward. I know it'll be awkward.

But it's okay because hopefully the awkwardness is only temporary. It won't last long.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when my sight was filled with that familiar neon sign.

We're already here?

"Do you want me to go in with you?" Mom asked jokingly.

I laughed.

As we drive through the parking lot, I couldn't help but skin through all of the cars, looking for one in particular.

I didn't see it anywhere. Even though I wasn't worried (Ayyyyye), I was still somewhat relieved.

"Have an amazing day and don't work too hard. If you need anything, call me or text me or whatever." Mom smiled as we pulled up in front of the building.

"Alright, thanks Mom, I love you." I said, stepping out of the car.

"I love you too!" She said.

I closed the door and waved at her through the window. She waved back.

As she drove off, I turned around and looked at the building. I began walking to the door.

As I walked in, I instantly heard the beeping sounds of cash registers, the sounds of grocery cart wheels rattling, the low volume 90's music playing on the loudspeaker.

I wasn't quite sure what to do or where to go. I looked around and saw a sign that read Service Desk.

I walked to the counter and stood there, waiting for someone to assist me. I kept looking at the security screen to keep myself entertained.

I waited for what felt like hours before a blonde lady came up and asked me, "Hi, my name is Gracie, I'm the manager here, how may I help you?"

Gracie.

I forgot about her.

I forgot she worked here.

Not only does she work here, she's my manager.

"Ma'am?" She snapped me out of my thoughts. Her voice sounded so different when she was sober. It sounded softer and sweeter than when she was drunk.

I wasn't sure if she recognized me or not.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, um, my Mom dropped off an application for me to work here and uh-"

"Oh! You must be Amy. I'm Gracie and I'm the manager here! Follow me."

She walked around the counter and over to a bulletin board with a chart pinned to it.

"This is the schedule." She said, pointing to the paper. "All of the empty spaces are your shifts." She said taking a pen out of her front pocket and writing my name in all of the empty spaces for the week.

"Here are the times and days that you work." She said, pointing at the labels. "If you have any problem with anything, just let me know." She smiled, then shrugged.

I nodded in response. She walked away, back behind the counter.

"And one more thing!" She spoke loudly. "Dress code is khakis and a red polo. You'll get a name tag soon."

I took a glance at the chart once more and examined it.

4:00 - 5:00 ~ Amy: Restock shelves / reorganize anything out of place

5:00 - 5:30 ~ Jacob & Amy: Bagging groceries at cash register

5:30 - 6:00 ~ Jacob, Hannah, Jordan, Andrew, Brianna: Break

6:00 - 7:15 ~ Jack & Amy: Grocery cart duty

7:15 - 8:00 ~ Jack, Hannah, Amy: Store walk through (make sure nothing is spilled / broken

I had goosebumps when I saw Jack's name next to mine. I quickly rubbed them away.

I read the key on the paper next to the chart on the board. It gave the locations of the stations.

I skimmed for the tab labelled Stocking / Restocking.

In the back room, look for a tag labelled 'Stocking'. Under it, there should be stacks of items that are prepared for shelf stocking. Put them in a grocery cart and take them and put them in their designated areas on the shelves throughout the store.

Simple.

I walked to the back of the store, taking a shortcut through the isle with the paper towels and tissues.

I found a door on the back wall that was labelled Employees Only.

I opened the door slowly. Suddenly, it stopped and there was a thud.

"Ahh!" A voice from behind the door said.

I slipped through the opened door and closed it back.

"I'm so sorry. Are you okay? I didn't mean to-"

"It's cool, it's cool. I'm fine." He said.

* * *

A/N: HEY HEY HEYY

What's up y'all's how are yous?

I hope you're good! <3

As always, God bless you, you're important, you're amazing, you're beautiful, & I love you so much (:

Much love 💚