thirty-three

"Food City? Really?!" I questioned.

"What's wrong with Food City?" She asked.

"Because that's where- Why couldn't you pick any other store?"

"Food City is the only grocery store I shop at." She explained.

"Save-A-Lot has some amazing deals, let me tell ya."

"Why don't you want to work at Food City?" She asked again, ignoring my statement.

I shrugged, not wanting to tell her why. She stood up and sighed. I thought I was off the hook until she said, "Let me know when you finish filling out the form." Then she left.

Great.

I put the paper on my nightstand and turned over on my bed, pulling the blanket up and over my shoulder.

* * *

I heard a knock on the window. I rolled out of bed, sleepily and went to open the window.

Jack's head poke in.

"Jack? What are you doing here? It's late." I yawned.

"I wanted to see you." He replied.

"Jack, babe, it's a bit late, just go home."

"I don't want to go home. Not without you, at least."

"Sorry." I said, pushing him out.

"Come with meeeee!" He pleaded.

"Jack, no."

"Pleeeeeease? I'll bring you back." He pouted.

It was so cute.

I sighed. "Jack."

He pouted again.

"Where to?"

"Out." He said, his pout turning into a smile as he grabbed my hand and tugged at it, motioning me to come outside.

I stepped out the window. He walked us to the ladder and let go of my hand. "I'll go first, then I'll help you." He told me, then stepped down the ladder carefully. "Come on."

I carefully stepped down. I felt Jack's hands gently grab my waste and pull me down.

I hopped from the second to last step to the ground.

Jack grabbed my hand and pulled me along behind him.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see." He replied.

He pulled me down the sidewalk. Turning at sharp corners. We were now running. Street lights flying by as we went by them. We finally crossed the street, then stopped when we reached our destination. Or so, I thought.

"The park?" I asked.

"No. This is just where I parked." He explained, then searched around for his car. Once he spotted it, the running took its place once again.

He opened the door and I climbed in. He lightly slammed it then ran around and got into the other side. Grabbing his keys from his pocket, he started the car, then turn on the heat and turned both vents in my direction.

At this point, I realized how loud my chattering teeth really were. I focused on it for a while, trying to make it less noticeable. When I gritted my teeth, my stomach started doing this weird shaky thing.