sixteen

"Earthquake!".

The house was filled with screams of all pitches, including myself.

The shaking didn't stop.
That's when I heard someone calling my name. It was a man's voice.

"Amy!" The voice said. "Amy, wake up."

One of my eyes peeked open. My Dad was sitting beside of me.

"Hmm?" I mumbled.

"Your Mom told me that you've been having a lot of these night terrors lately. What's up?" He sounded concerned.

"It's nothing, they're just dreams." I told him, sitting up.

"Amy, sweety, you cry actual tears, you toss and turn and mumble to yourself while you're sleeping." Dad pointed out. I just looked at him. "You could either talk to me, your Mom, or your Mom and I could take you to a professional. It's your choice." He told me.

"You want me to go to a therapist? You actually think   I'm crazy! Wow."

"No, honey, I never said you were crazy. N-no one did-"

"Then what are you saying?"

"We're just trying to help you. We're trying to be good parents."

"Yeah, well I think you're trying a bit too hard. I'm not going to a therapist."

He looked at me, then stood up, patted my leg, went out in the hall outside of my room, and closed the door behind him.

I heard faint whispers for a few seconds. The doorknob turned and Mom walked in.

"Hey sweetheart." She said.

"I'm not seeing a therapist."

She didn't say anything. She just walked to my bed and sat down. I scooted away from her a bit.

"We're just looking out for you honey." She said softly.
"I've scheduled you an appointment-"

"You WHAT?!" I asked.

She tried to grab my hand, but I pulled back and it hit the wall. Hard. It hit the cast. I yelped in pain.

"I scheduled you an appointment with a nice lady named Dr. Anne. She specializes in children."

"Children?! First you go behind me back and set me an appointment with a therapist, and now you're calling me a child?!" I yelled.

"Honey, the age limit is 4-18." Mom explained.

My mouth was hung open. I can't believe they did that.

"I'm not going."

"It's gonna be great for you, sweets. Lots of kids your age go there, maybe you can make some friends."

"Oh, so now you're saying I have no friends?!"

"No-sweetie-I-"