Chapter 32

**Chapter 32**

Arabella holds onto Nicoletta's shoulders as she helps her into the backseat of her Nissan. Nicoletta is being released on Thursday, two days earlier than planned. Next week is the last week of school so Nicoletta will just stay home for the remainding days.

"We all good?" Arabella asks after she gets in the drivers seat.

"Yeah, I'm good." Nicoletta says. She feels the leather seats with her hands. "I'm just glad to get out of that place. I never thought I would miss this car either."

Arabella nods her head and starts the car. "It's looks pretty bad out there." She says as she drives out of the parkinglot and onto the main road to all the trafic and stop lights up ahead. "It's going to rain sometime today."

Nicoletta says nothing but instead stares out the window. It's good to be up and moving about. She has been laying in a hospital bed for a little over two months now. The only time she felt away from the hospital was when she looked out her barred window at the sun, or when her friend's came and visited her.

"Can I crack the window just a bit to let a breeze in?" She asks.

"Yeah I guess you can." Arabella replies back to her as she stops at a red stoplight.

Nicoletta pushes the little window button on her door and lets it open just a crack. The cool air floods into the car and Nicoletta breathes in the scent of an oncoming storm.

"You know the house next to ours, the one that you can see into the window of one of the rooms from your bedroom window?" Arabella asks as she turns the car to the right.

"Yeah. The empty house that's not for sale." Nicoletta says remembering the giant house next to theirs.

The owner's had moved out of the house a little over a year ago but never sold the house saying that they had someone already moving into it, but no one came to live in it. People came to clean the empty house and to tend to the yard, but nothing more than that.

"Well a few weeks ago a family moved in their." Arabella says. Nicoletta perks up and gets excited.

"Really, who?"

"Some Australian people. There actually your fathers business partner. They have a nice family and they wanted to invite us to dinner when you got back." Nicoletta's heart sinks into her stomach.

"What did you tell them I was doing?" She asks quietly. For some reason she doesn't want people to know she was in the hospital.

"I told them you broke your leg when you fell at Soccer practice and had to stay in bed at the hospital so they could keep an eye on you."

Nicoletta looks down at her outstretched leg. "I forgot about that." She says as she feels the hard thick cast covering her whole leg from her foot to her thigh.

Arabella laughs outloud. "How did you manage to forget about your broken leg?"

"I don't know." Nicoletta laughs. It feels good to laugh with her mother again. "I just forgot about it temporarilly."

Arabella shakes her head and laughs. "You know, Nicoletta, they have a son your age."

Nicoletta nods her head with little intrest. She is done with boys, the only one she needs right now is Brighton.

"He's pretty cute, and I think you might really like him."

"What makes you think I will like him?" Nicoletta asks as she stares out the window at the familliar houses that they pass, they are just about a block from her house.