Augmented Imagination.

~Liz~
I jerk awake to the sound of my alarm, patting around to try and turn it off. I sit up, slowly opening my eyes. They are blurry and out of focus, slowly clearing. I run my eyes ever my room, confused. I look up, focusing on the Twenty One Pilots poster that hangs above my head.

I suck in a breath, blearily throwing ragged clothes on and gathering my school supplies out of foggy memory of what used to be a habit. I find myself stumbling down the stairs, coming to a halt when I see Lana standing in the doorway.

"Hurry up, you'll be late. I don't need anymore truancy calls. You'd think you'd have figured all of this out by now. Wake up, get your head out of the clouds," her words ring in my mind. I stumble out of the front door and down the sidewalk, Luke and Mark calling all too familiar words at me.

I feel foggy as I slump into a seat on the bus, watching other kids filter on. It feels like it's been ages since I've rode a bus.

A person plops down beside me, causing my reeling head to turn.

"Lily, what are you doing here?" I ask, furrowing my brow in confusion.

Lily, seeming different and slightly off, replies with, "what do you mean? I'm going to school, like I do every day."

My mind turns that over a few times, before the words slowly tumble from my mouth, "You're supposed to be in California."

She gives me a confused look, putting her hand on the side of my face. "Liz, are you okay?" She asks.

I nod, looking in confusion at her hand, my mind still clouded and slow. "Yeah, why?" I ask.
"I've never been to California," she says, "You should know that. We talked about it last week. Is everything okay? Is Rich hitting your head a little too hard."

The sluggish blur continues, and I feel like I've skipped multiple hours when I bump into someone in the hall, spinning around and nearly falling. A strong, warm hand catches my arm and keeps me from falling.

"Liz, are you okay? I'm so sorry," Tom says, looking into my eyes in concern. He's tie is slightly off-center from the collision, and something in the back of my mind makes me feel like I haven't seen him in a tie in ages.

"Tom?" I ask, my own voice confusing me.

"Liz, is everything okay?" He asks, looking at my face carefully.

"Why aren't you- why aren't we in California?" I ask, the fog feeling stronger.

"California?" He asks, looking concerned.

"With my brother and Josh?" I ask, waiting for him to catch on.

Tom looks at my eyes, "Liz, how's you head?"

I look around, nothing seeming right. "I don't understand what's going on. Where's Tyler? I- I need Tyler. Or- Or Josh."

Tom uses the hand that is still around my arm to lead me down the hallway, calling out an unfamiliar name.

My brain seems to miss out on time, jumping to where I'm sitting in a chair in front of a person who looks vaguely familiar and authoritative.

"I think something is wrong," Tom's voice whispers.

"Where is Tyler? I need Tyler," I repeat.

"Who is Tyler?" The other person asks.

"That's the thing that concerns me the most, and she thinks we should be in California," Tom says.

"Lily should know about California, ask Lily. She'll tell you all about California and Tyler and Josh," I insist, confused.

"Liz, Lily has never been to California," Tom says softly, he turns back to the other man, "I think we need to call Lana."

The next thing I know, Lana is sitting on the couch beside me.

"I, I need to get back to California. I'm supposed to be getting on the plane today. We have to go to family Thanksgiving," I say, pushing the hot chocolate back into Lana's hands.

"Liz, you've never been to California, remember?" Lana says in a voice as though I'm a mental patient.

"I spent nearly six months in California, what are you talking about?" I say, reaching in my pocket for my phone. Maybe I can call Tyler and figure all of this out.

Lana shakes her head, holding the hot chocolate, "no honey, you've never been to California. How's your head feel?"

"Foggy and sluggish," I mumble to myself.

Lana sucks in a concerned breath, "I should probably call the doctor..."

"Call Tyler and figure all of this out!" I say, "I've been living with him in California for months now!"

"Honey, calm down. You've never been to California," Lana says, pushing the mug back into my hands. "Please drink some of this, it will make you feel better."

I take it, watching her face.
"I'm going to go call the doctor, you stay right here, okay?" Lana says. She stands up, heading towards a phone.
"Lana, we've never had a doctor," I say, furrowing my eyebrows and trying to push past the fog.
Lana sighs, dialing a number. There is a wrapping on the door, and then a man walks in.

I jerk back, recognizing him. Lana rushes towards the door.

"Rich, you aren't supposed to be back yet," she says, phone still in hand.

"I'm early, so what," he says, trying to push past her. I let out a scared sound.
"Rich, you need to leave. She isn't ready for this yet," Lana says. I furrow my eyebrows.

"What's going on? Please, just call Tyler. I need to talk to Tyler. Or Josh. Please, just call one of them! I don't understand what's going on. I need to go back to California," I say, tears filling my eyes.
Lana turns to look at me, "Honey, there is no California. You've never been there. You just came home from the hospital two weeks ago. You were in a coma for months. You are currently healing from a brain injury, which Rich caused," she says, turning back to Rich, "You need to leave."

"Let me into my house," He says angrily.
"No, that's not true. I need to talk to Tyler and Josh, I need to talk to them," I say, on the verge of crying.

Rich pushes past Lana, coming towards me. I flinch out of no where, moving back.

"I need Tyler and Josh!" I say.

"Honey, they aren't real. They are just part of your dream. You dreamed them up in your coma," Lana says. Rich barrels at me, Lana throws herself in front of him, "Don't touch her. You can't hurt her again. This is hard enough for her."

It was all al dream?

"Please, I need Tyler."

"Honey, Tyler and Josh aren't real. They are a figment of your imagination."