Chapter 21: A Bad Day

Anna

It was Wednesday afternoon and I was in my apartment reading "Decker's Wood." I would never admit reading this book but sometimes I go for the sexy passionate romance stories. As for my own story, I did not go to meet Caleb yesterday. The note he gave me in class said that 'carnations represent sincere love. I will do anything to prove that I am truthful to you.' Today he did not really talk to me. He seemed to be sulking about my ignoring his calls. He did leave a spike of red gladioli in front of my door but no note this time.

I reached the part of the book where the main character dances 'Cowboy Casanova,' for her guy and it made me feel like dancing. I am still learning how to dance country. This is not the usual country song but it will do. The lyrics even make me feel identified. I found the song on my phone and stood up. 

I swayed my hips at the rhythm of the music, played with my hair and sang out loud even though I was as off-key as always. 

Halfway through the song, my doorbell rang. 

I danced my way to the front door; I opened it and greeted a smiling Kathe. This girl is the happiest person I know. Even after being rejected she smiles again. 

I kept dancing and motioned her to join me. She grimaced and I guessed she was sore; She danced with me anyway. I closed the door without locking it and turned the music up. Kathe is actually a good dancer. 

She sang her heart off. It seems that I am not the only one who feels identified with the song. We sang and danced the rest of the song. 

After the song was over we sat on the couch. Kathe was panting and I went to the kitchen to get her a glass of water. I gave her the water and she gulped it down. 

There was a soft knock on the door and I yelled that the door was not locked. Matt opened the door; I greeted him and took Kathe's hand pulling her up. We walked to the clearing.

"So, you turned down Caleb's invitation," said Matt.

"Why would accept it after last time? It is like putting my heart in his hands and begging him not to let it fall to the ground while he jumps on a pogo stick. No, thanks."

He stopped walking and covered his mouth with one hand silencing a chuckle. "I think he would not hurt you like before."

I met his eyes and crossed my arms. "Are you telling me he would hurt me somehow else?" He looked away.

"Yes," he whispered. "But he does want you to be his Luna. Maybe if you spent more time together he would see what we all see in you and fall in love." 

I raised one eyebrow. I am going to ignore how he low key confessed to me just now. "Why would he hurt me?"

Matt still refused to look at me and grabbed his own wrist as he talked. "He wants you because you would make him stronger. You know."

I nodded. "I am a strong werewolf and an Alpha's daughter. So?"

His wide eyes finally met mine. "So? You are not hurt by that? He does not love you. He wants power."

I chuckled. "That is nothing new I have been an Alpha's daughter almost my whole life. I know the drill. By the way you are like the worst wingman ever." He laughed.

"Almost all of your life?" he asked. I put on a wide smile and avoided answering.

"What are you planning to do?" asked Kathe.

I shrugged. "Nothing in particular. I will stay for the whole school year and if he has not proven to me that he wants me because of me and not my power, I will just go back to my pack." I kicked a pebble and put my hands in my pockets.