Chapter 25

"You have two blue cars, and three red ones." Parker told Morgan as they sat in the floor of his bedroom. It was Friday, but he hadn't been to school in two days so she was doing what she could until they got him in somewhere else. "If you subtract-" She began before stopping due to the look of confusion on his face. She was obviously used to having much older students. "If you take away," She corrected herself, "the two blue ones, how many cars do you have left?" Morgan moved the two cars out of the line up and put his finger to his cheek in thought. "Three?" He said, more asking than stating. "Yes! Smart boy you are." She told him as she heard her phone ring in the other room. "I'll be right back okay? Gotta make sure it's not Mommy cause we both know how much she freaks out if we don't answer." She informed him with a smile. "Alright Mama. I'm gonna play with my cars." He stated and turned back to his toys. She laughed as she walked off to grab her phone. When she found it however, she realized it wasn't Kristina but Morgan's school.
     "Hello?" She said when she answered. "Hello," The voice said. "Is this Parker Forsyth?" Parker put her hand to her head in annoyance. You'd think after all these years she's been married that people would get her name right. Saving time she replied, "Yes it is. Can I help you?" The woman on the voice got straight to the point. "As of today, the school terminated our relationship with your son's former teacher. We're in need of a sub until we find her replacement. I've been informed that you have a history of teaching?" Parker nodded into the phone. "Yes, but with college students, not five year olds. I'm not sure how good I would be at it." She admitted. "It's only for a couple of days." The lady informed her. "It shouldn't be long at all and most of them are pretty decent kids." Parker thought about it. "When would you want me to start?" She asked.  "You could come in Monday and we could probably have a replacement by Wednesday." The lady replied. "Alright then. Morgan needs to get back in school anyway." She said. "Thanks for calling...." She began before saying, "I don't even know who this is." "My name is Carol Barnett. I'm with the school board. I control who stays and who goes. I look forward to seeing how you do on Monday." Carol said and then she hung up. 
       I did NOT see that coming.  Parker said aloud as she went back into the bedroom to check on Morgan. "Who was that Mama?" He asked when he saw her in the door. "Funny story kid, that was actually your school." His face went sour. "Am I in trouble?" He asked. "No silly. But Mama is gonna come teach your class for a couple of days, so starting Monday you get to go back to school. How do you feel about that?" She asked him. "I think it's awesome." He told her happily before his smile was replaced with a frown. "But what if the kids are mean to you and call you that word again?" Parker smiled at her caring boy and wrapped him up in a hug. "I'm a big girl Morgan. I can handle myself and so can your Mommy okay? You don't need to worry about things like that. Besides," She said as she lowered her voice to a whisper. "I can send them to the principles office." Morgan laughed and so did she. "I can't wait to see that happen." He said honestly and she ruffled his hair. "Alright little guy. What do you say we call your mother and fill her in on the good news?" She asked and his eyes lit up at the very mention of it. "Yes!" He yelled in excitement as he climbed into Parkers lap, cradling himself in her arms as she dialed Kristina's number. Kristina answered on the second ring. "Hey babe," She said. "Hey!" Parker replied. "So guess what?"