Chapter 44

The next day after the (small) party had ended, Sam and Jason rounded their two kids up and left. Parker and Kristina had been sitting in the kitchen with their coffee when Parker spoke up. 
     "You were right," She told her wife. "Something is definitely up with him." She said, referring to Morgan. "He was off all night." Kristina took a sip of her drink. "I told you. He's upset about something." She placed her mug down and propped her elbows up on the table. "Did you talk to him yet?"  Parker shook her head. "Not yet. I was waiting for everyone to leave first." She replied. "Where is he, by the way?" Kristina pointed up at the ceiling, signalling he was in his room. "He didn't even come down to say goodbye." Parker stood up from the table and kissed the smaller girl's hand. "I'll be back in a minute." She told her before making the walk up the stairs and down the hall to Morgan's bedroom. When she arrived, she politely knocked on his open door.
     "Hey you." She said, noticing he was in the bottom part of his bed which had been turned into a fort. "What are you doing in here by yourself?" She asked. He didn't say anything, he just kept playing with his toy car. "Can I come in here with you?" She tried again. He still didn't say anything, but this time he nodded. She crawled inside the tiny tent like space and sat across from him. She picked up one of the other dinosaurs he had laying in the area and placed it in front of his. 
      "I think your moms are worried about you." Parker said, attempting to use her best dinosaur voice. "You should talk to them." Morgan smiled. "You're funny mama." He said, but then he went back to his unusually quiet self. He put his toy down and so did she. "Come here." She told him, patting in her lap. He crawled over and climbed in, allowing her to cradle him like the baby he was no more.  "What's wrong buddy? Mommy and I have noticed you haven't been your cheerful self." She said, kissing the top of his head and rocking him slightly. He looked up at her and started to speak but didn't. 
      They heard another knock at the door and Kristina popped her head in. "Can I join the party?" She asked, noticing her son was visibly upset. She shooed Parker over a little so she could fit too. "What's wrong with my baby?" She asked, opening her arms and letting him climb into her lap now. She leaned into parker that way he could lay his head in her lap while she held his legs.
       "How come I don't have a daddy?" He asked them and they both seized all movement. They knew this day would come, although they didn't expect it until much later. "What do you mean?" Kristina asked. "Scout has a daddy named Drew, and Danny has Uncle Jason, but I don't have one." He told them. "Why don't I have one?" Kristina looked at her wife, clearly begging for some help on this one.
       "Think of it like this, " Parker began. "After mommy and I got married, we decided we wanted to have you. It is a little more complicated for people like us to have babies." She said, rubbing the side of Kristina's arm as she spoke. "For most people, having a baby takes a man and a woman. That is something we will talk about in a few years, but we can skip that for now." She said, earning a slight smile from Kristina. "But with your mother and I it was different. We had to go see a doctor. That doctor did a procedure that planted you in mom's belly, so we didn't exactly need a man." Parker moved his hair out of his face. "So instead, you have two mommies instead of a mommy and a daddy. Does that help?" She asked.
     Morgan sat up. "Yeah. I guess I'm just jealous because Danny said he does cool things with his dad like baseball and stuff." Kristina scratched his back a little. "I know I'm only a girl," She said dramatically, tickling his belly. "But I do know how to play baseball. We can start doing more things like that if you want." She told him. "Who knows? Maybe you can go with Danny and Uncle Jason sometimes too." His face lit up for the first time in two days. "Really? Do you think they would want me to go?" Parker chuckled. "I don't see why not? They love you too goober." She said, poking him in his ribs. "All better now?" She asked. He nodded and climbed out of his fort.
     "Good," Kristina said. "It's bedtime, kind sir." She said following him out, with Parker right behind her. "Up to bed you go." She told him, helping him balance on the ladder while climbing to the top bunk. He got into his bed and got under the blankets. Kristina and Parker both kissed his forehead and then Parker tucked him in. 
      "We love you." They told him and they walked away from the bed. Right before they shut the door, he spoke to them again. "I think having two mom's is better than one." He said and then he rolled over to go to sleep. Parker and Kristina smiled at one another and then they themselves went off to go to bed.