Vernon (V)

for daydreaminginmidst, i hope this suffices. a fluffy fluff of our vernon. 

Vernon

He wasn't going to lie; your sister scared the living crap out of him.

. . .

When you got the call, you tried to negotiate or even postpone the inevitable. But no dice, your family had been curious about the mysterious boyfriend that you had accidentally hinted at in one bi-weekly family dinner.

Your voice softened, "Please, can't you just wait a few days?"

After wheedling and pleading for the better of ten minutes, you managed to change the full family visit to just your sister. Yeah, you could do this.

You tucked your cellphone into your back pocket after sending a text to Vernon telling him you were going to drop by his place in the next fifteen minutes. Now to figure out a way to break the news.

. . .

Your lip was caught between your teeth as you knock rhythmically on his door, still wondering how he'll take the news. You were hoping he'd be rational and mature about it, but you had the sinking feeling that he wasn't going to take it well.

"Hey honey," he greets, a sweet smile paired with dark golden locks as he takes your hand and pulls you into his apartment.

After settling in on his ancient couch, and making small talk for a couple of minutes, Vernon senses that you were holding something back. But he waits patiently for you to tell him what's bothering you.

"So I have some news," you start and began to twirl your thumbs, feeling a little guilty for what you may put him through. "Please don't freak out."

"Please don't tell me you're pregnant." The exaggerated horror on his face did get you to chuckle, once but then you smacked his shoulder.

"That wasn't funny," you try to fight down your smile as you continue your sentence, "mainly because you know more than well how impossible that is."

A bright red exploded onto his cheeks as he realized his blunder, but at least he had succeeded in getting you to calm down. "My bad, my bad."

You decide to just say it, "My family wants to meet you."

The redness of his cheeks drains out of his face completely in an instant as he gapes at you, "Your family what?"

. . .

Vernon slid his fingers through his head of blonde locks in a nervous gesture, he just couldn't sit still. His eyes were darting all around the quaint café while his hands were preoccupied with either his hair, tie, or your fingers.

"Relax," you snatch his hand from reaching for a sugar packet, "Wow, you're real nervous, aren't you? Your hands haven't been this sweaty since the day you asked me out."

An embarrassed flush reddened his cheeks as he tried to tug his hand out of your grasp, "Was that really necessary?"

You leaned over to peck a kiss on his cheek and giggled as you felt the way his hand slacked within your grasp. "Yes. But seriously, you're freaking out about nothing. My sister will love you, she's so nice."

Vernon tried to find comfort in your words, but his sixth sense was telling him that impending danger was about to befall him. But he basked in the beauty of your smile and allowed himself to gradually relax.

Just as he was about to turn around and flick you playfully on the forehead, something caught his eye. While under normal circumstances he would have easily told you the reason since, in retrospect, the female was stunning. Not his type, but that was beside the point, but all her features were striking in a way that was charming, evidently by the increased amount of male attention to his table.