The8 (VI)

The8

It all started because an overpriced and bedazzled dog collar.

. . .

It was Boxing Day. And you hated shopping on Boxing Day, not that you think anyone did, what with the seas of pushing bodies all threatening to crush you. But you had an even more intense dislike of the holiday, simply because the few times that you did go out on the day, you ended up in a giant argument with a total stranger.

Perhaps everyone's tension is high right after Christmas, and so to you, the bloodbath of Boxing Day was to be avoided at all costs. But not this year, your resolve to keep out of the violence was thoroughly destroyed by a gorgeous crystal-encrusted dog collar that sparkled like a million rainbows.

You were the parent a very pompous Pomeranian that you had essentially spoiled rotten, but you couldn't resist fawning over his adorable face even when he did drive you insane. With a coat of pure white, you couldn't resist the idea of having this stunning collar on your already stunning dog.

While you did seem to lose a lot of reason when it came to your dog, you resisted purchasing the ridiculously overpriced piece of jewelry. In total honesty, you doubted if you had ever even purchased yourself something so luxurious. But when Boxing Day rolled around, with an extremely tempting 75% off label on the collar, you forgot any sense of reason.

You were going to get that collar if it was the last thing you did.

. . .

Oversleeping, you anxiously made your way to the store hoping that the collars were still in stock. Your fingers were crossed as you waited in line to enter along with fellow people enticed by the 75% off sale. Finally, settling your heart rate after tearing through the mall it inexplicably picks up again as you see the male standing beside you.

His black hair was long, in some sort of pseudo-mullet as it wasn't exactly long enough. While mullets weren't usually your cup of tea, he looked really cute from what you could gather from his side profile. With a sharp chin and equally sharply shaped dark brown eyes, there was a fascinating blend of grace and cuteness.

You don't really realize you've been staring until he turns and meets your gaze with his own. And your face heats with embarrassment, lowering your gaze you struggle to come up with anything to say.

"Boxing Day shopping?" His voice was light and almost coaxing, eyes flashing with amusement as he watched you nervously lift your face to respond.

"Yeah," you shrug, "This entire thing really isn't my thing, but I really wanted to get something from here."

He grins while nodding, "That I can definitely agree with, the entire day has been so hectic that I almost forgot about visiting this place. They have this limited-edition Christmas dog collar that I've been wanting ever since it came out."

You face immediately breaks out into a smile, "How interesting, that's exactly why I'm here today. That thing is so pretty, but there is no way I would buy it for the original price."

"No kidding," he chuckles, "You'd have to be a little too dog crazy to be willing to spend that much on just a collar. Even now I feel like it's going to take a chunk out of my wallet."

"That is too relatable," you sigh, "But as soon as I imagine it on my fur child, I just can't resist."

"Never heard something truer," he smiles, "I haven't introduced myself yet, have I?" He sticks out a hand in greeting and tilting his head in a way not unlike your own dog, "My name's Minghao."

You shake his hand while introducing yourself and you can't help but to note how warm and nice his hand felt in yours. "So what breed is your dog?"