Take Control.

Luke sat at the edge of the bed, one hand typing away on his phone and the other raking through Petunia's fur, while I sat on the armchair in the corner of his room, feeling ignored. I left the bathroom shortly after he got in the shower to take my place in the chair, and when he walked in, he seemed irritated. He didn't say anything to me, instead busying himself in his phone. The moments we sat in silent felt like hours, when in reality it was just enough time for his curls to dry and my hair to move from sopping wet to damp. I wanted to walk over to him, to talk about what happened in the bathroom and what I said to him, but I didn't. I just sat there with my knees pulled to my chest, repeatedly checking my phone for notifications that never came.

In the midst of our uncomfortable silence, a knock sounded at the door.

"What?" Luke called and the door cracked open to reveal Calum. He stepped inside, greeting Petunia as she hopped off the bed to say hello.

"You okay, Val?" He asked me.

"I'm fine," I rasped, knowing I wasn't being very convincing. I couldn't stop thinking of Luke's possessive nature and how angry he got when I suggested we take things slow for now.

"You sure? I could take you home if you want-" I cut him off.

"I said I'm fine." I didn't mean for my voice to come out as snappy as it did. Calum raised his eyebrows, shoving his hands in the pockets of his sweater.

"Are you coming to poker tomorrow night?" He turned to Luke, who was still on his phone.

"Don't know," he grumbled.

"We need a headcount," Calum pressed.

"Then ask me again tomorrow." Luke bit, holding his anger in. Calum nodded slowly, giving Petunia one last pet before exiting the room. When the door clicked shut, Luke threw his phone beside him and lied back, running his hands through his hair as he sighed. He moved his hands to his face, rubbing his eyes and I took a deep breath before standing up and walking to the edge of the bed. He waved his hand to dismiss me, but I didn't budge. He finally moved his hands back to his hair, keeping his eyes shut.

"You're not fine," he mentioned and I rolled my eyes, knowing he couldn't see me.

"Neither are you," I shot back and he opened his eyes, staring at me. With a sigh, he sat up.

"I just don't get why you're fucking around with a guy like me," he admitted and I shrugged.

"I don't know." My voice was quiet. "I like you." My face reddened.

"But not enough to be with me." He snapped, his voice cold and distant.

"Luke-" I began, but stopped to collect my thoughts. "It's not that, it's just-" Again, I stopped. Was there even a polite way to put it? "We don't get along for more than one day. You're destined to hurt me again and I'd like to feel like less of an idiot when you do," I explained, putting it bluntly.

"I hurt you?" His eyes were sad and I nodded.

"All the time," I told him.

"How?" He asked.

"You say things to get a rise out of me. Things that hurt my feelings. And you do such horrible things—Like the dogfight. I don't know if I can trust you."

"Maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive," he muttered and I sighed, turning to walk away. He caught my wrist, pulling me back.

"Like that." I stated, pulling my arm from him.

"I'm sorry. I don't think before I say those things." He tried to reach out for my hand, but I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Well you need to start." I told him. "Because when you do things like that, I'm not sure I even want to be your friend, let alone anything more."