The Tenth Chapter

I ended up filling his brain area in swirls too. It looked pretty special by the time Andy arrived.

"Could we outline you Andy?" I ask as he sits on the sofa.

"Yeah, I guess so. Dont want to be a party pooper." He chuckles, standing again.

Patrick starts at the top and does the flick of Andys hair, and I work on the bottom, his feet and strong legs.

"So, you did Patrick already?" Andy says.

"I drew Patrick and painted him. I havent done him yet." I joke.

Patricks pen and my pencil touch at Andys legs.

Jump back 9 years. Jessicas stout mother had taken Jessica on a well needed trip. Mother and daughter. Connection time.

Although, it clearly wasnt as Ideal as pictured as Jessicas mother was a nut case.

"Take off your jumper." Her mum waves an arm.

Jessica looks around the area, a sheer cliff above them and rolling waves about 20 meters away, and takes off her jumper.

"Stay still, or you will ruin it." Her mum says.

She freezes, imagining she is going to hit a laser if she moves, trigger an alarm. The car lights are on and in her eyes. She squints and stays as still as she can. Her mums heels drag through the shingles as she steps up to the base of the cliff.

Jessica is shaking. Its November.

"So. A long time ago a lady and a man fell in love." Theres the sound of sharpie on the cliff edge. "But the man had to go to war. So his lover drew his shadow on the wall like we are now." The squeaking changes note. "She would visit the shadow often and talk to it like her man was actually there." Theres a break in the squeaking.

Jessica is trying hard not to shake, but its cold and she cant help it. Jessica is over reacting and being stupid again.

"Stay still, only a little longer." Her mum demands.

She could almost imaging her mums lips pouting as she made the squeaking sound.

"I think thats how the story went... Anyway, she is stupid for talking to the shadow... But then again it was a good memory catcher so I took it into my own hands to recreate it. When you leave home, married to your rich famous husband, your father and I will be able to see this as a reminder."

Jessica didnt think to ask whether this counted as vandalism or whether it was illegal.

"So, your shadow is now here forever, even when you are gone. A lasting imprint to be seen by tens of people. To be appreciated and loved."

Key word- loved.

That was the first time her mum had mentioned that story. Jessica was 12.

I quietly fill in the space that is Andys left foot. Patrick is carefully filling in the right. Andy sips on a beer, on the sofa.

"Why are you doing this?" Andy asks.

"Greek mythology calls for it." I reply seriously.

"Oh?"

I make sure the swirls are in Andys arms and head.

"So, Patrick. We have to start composing new material soon."

"Ive got some lyrics from Pete and a couple of riffs to sort through." Patrick says, turning to look at Andy.

Fall Out Boy, or half of them, are talking about secret things right in front of me.

"Arent you scared that Im going to share the secrets?" I ask.

"You havent been on social media for almost 2 days. Pretty sure you also are clever enough to know what would happen if you shared it." Andy points out.

They know my secret. They have me in their palm. I turn and face Andy. He shrugs and takes a sip.

"So, wednesday we need to meet up, is that okay?" Patrick asks Andy.