The Fifty-Third Chapter

Rain is only nice when youre inside. After that, its only another way of getting wet.

So when I walk home from Joe and Andys place, Im just becoming a puddle.

Im the puddle to be. Tres chic.

As I arrive on the door step I get a text from Patrick. I lift my phone up in the rain and wipe the mop of blue slush from my face.

I decided to arrive home early, Petes coming over and another person too. Ill see you when you get back.

I turn off my phone and fumble for my keys. This is all so watery.

I give up and knock on the door a few times.

The first thing I notice when Patrick opens the door is the pink lipstick stain on his cheek.

I raise an eyebrow.

We stand there for a moment, Im not getting any wetter.

His hair is ruffled up and he is dazed.

"Can I come inside?" I ask.

"Yeah sure, sorry." Patrick chuckles stepping out the way. "Youre wet." He notes.

"Its raining." I shake my head, spraying water in the hall. "Im going to take a shower... Dont have too much fun without me."

I slowly drag myself through the living room and too the bathroom.

"Hey! Skye!" Pete shouts, waving.

"Pete!" I reply with half as much enthusiasm as I wanted to portray.

I look to his left, someone is sitting there. Im sure Ive seen her on TV somewhere... She is super famous.

I continue upstairs and go for my shower.

Once Im out and dry I change into some comfortable clothes to relax in.

You know, trackies and a vest top?

Jump to me walking down stairs to join the guys.

Jump to Patrick with his arm around the famous person.

"Hi, Im Skye, nice to meet you." I force a smile, sticking my hand out to the girl.

"Hi, Im Lizzie. Maybe you know me already... Do you recognise me?" She seems so nice and polite that I cant flaw her.

She shakes my hand.

The perfect hand shake.

"Im sorry, I dont know many things about pop culture, do you mind filling me in?" I smile, taking a seat.

As she talk my insides rot slightly. I lean on Pete and I can feel him tense slightly when she turns to Patrick to chuckle.

She says something about being a model, and I recognise her. She is the biggest model. She is the person to be.

"Ah, yes, I recognise you." I smile.

After a while, a smile is just teeth.

"How about you? I recognise you from somewhere." Lizzie tilts her head.

Her lips are a tint of pink that is usually only found on sweets.

I swallow.

"Urm. No... Im just a... Friend of Pats." I nod.

"Maybe I just saw some pictures of you guys in a magazine. Theres nothing going on between you right?" She leans forward, like its a secret.

I look at Patrick. He is looking away.

"No." I say. "You can call it 'just friends'."

My heart is pounding and Patrick seems unharmed.

"Because otherwise he would be cheating, and nobody likes a cheater am I right?" Her laugh is like a soft ringing of a bell.

"Nobody likes a cheater." I repeat.

She uses a hand to ruffle her blonde waves into a better shape.

"So, you guys are... Going out then?" I ask.

"Yeah. Isnt he cute! We are going out, as in actually out, in half an hour, so..." She purses.

"Cool." I nod slowly.

Theres silence.

"What did you do today?" Pete asks, leaning forward to look at me.

I look him in the eyes and can see him try to tell me something.

"I- urm..." I start, concentrating on what he wants to tell me. "I went to Andy and Joes place. They are really serious about monopoly."

"Did you win?" Lizzie pulls me away from staring at Pete.

"Nope. Completely flat out last. Joe and Andy are serious about monopoly!"

"Then how did you return so soaking?" Pete asks.

"Youre not going to believe this." I say. "But! Its raining!"

He furrows his eyebrows.

I turn to look back at Patrick and Lizzie. Lizzie has her perfectly manicured nails on Patricks cheek. She is quietly whispering something and Patrick looks dazed.

I look back to Pete to stop my insides getting crushed.

"P. D. A. Excuse me." Pete jokes.

"Im going to go upstairs. It was nice meeting you Lizzie. Have fun tonight." I say, with a sour hint.

I have to Lizzie and Pete. I turn to look at Patrick and he is watching my body language.

I flash one more smile and walk back upstairs.