65

Skye pov.

Ok so maybe I lied. Yes I did enlist but I wasn't exactly leaving for boot camp just yet. I had a couple more months to get ready and go to pt in order to reach my full physical strength required for boot camp. I hadn't talked to Mac since I left a month ago... but I had stayed in touch with Jack. I didn't want to. But when he reached out and told me that Mac had found out who his dad was and he explained the entire situation I was glad he reached out. Especially when I heard those two words... Mac quit.

I stood outside the familiar bar watching the boy. He looked much different in there now than I was use to seeing him. The first time I'd ever laid eyes on him was in this very place. And now here he was leaned on his elbows on a stool at the bar with a bottle in his hand.

"You should go talk to him," a voice said to me leaning against the other side of the small window.

"That definitely wouldn't help," I huffed out. I never took my eyes off the blond boy.

"You never know until you try," now I turned my annoyed gaze in Jack's direction.

"We both know that I have a part to blame in this too," I gestured towards Mac with my hand and my eyes soon followed.

"You should of told him," the father figure beside me said after his moment of silence.

"No," I shook my head harshly, "Jack if I had stayed around any longer then it only would of made things worse when I did have to leave. Especially now."

"He needs you, Skye," there were few times that Jack actually said my name. And when he did I knew he was being serious. But that didn't change the fact that I was right in this situation, even if Mac really did need me.

I stayed quiet and just watched Mac there at the bar for the longest time until Jack spoke again.

"When do you leave?" He asked and I sighed knowing that my already broken heart was about to shatter even more when I answered Jack with a lie.

"A few days," I wanted to keep looking at Mac since I knew I couldn't look Jack in the eyes anymore. But looking at Mac while lying again only upset me more.

"Well," Jack sighed, "you be careful out there. Boot camp is no joke."

I nodded my head and then dared to meet his gaze. I wanted to break out in tears in that very moment. But I kept myself together.

"Bye Jack," I smiled. I threw my arms around him and he held me tight as a father would his daughter before watching her leave.

"This isn't goodbye Princess," Jack said into my ear. I didn't respond because I knew it really was but we simply left it at that and after pulling away from him... I just walked away.

Mac pov.

Why was I here? Out of all the places I could of ended up, why here? But then again, why not? I met the love of my life here, or so I thought. Now she's gone and I'm never going to get her back.

Goodbye. She actually said goodbye. I couldn't believe it. I'd heard song after song play in this bar and I almost left when "You don't know her like I do" by Brantley Gilbert came on. I wanted to scream. Thoughts of my dad raced through my head but being here, Skye was who occupied the for front of my thoughts. I was almost considering leaving when I felt a hand clap down on my shoulder. I looked over to see Jack taking a seat next to me and gesturing to the bar tender for a beer.

"And another one for my friend with a large glass of water," Jack added.

"What are you doing here?" I rolled my eyes and hunched back over gulping down what was left of my current drink.