Chapter 26

Three days ago..

Pha opened his mouth to reply but Yo said: "I just want to know one thing concerning that night. Were you aware that it was our apartment that the mission was set on before you transferred it to him?" Pha looked at him, his eyes full of pain and he said: "Do we have to talk about this right now?"  Yo stared at him in disbelief. "Just about what are we supposed to be talking about if not this????" Pha said softly: "About whether you have been well or not." Yo replied coldly: "If you cared about it, you would not have drawn a mission about killing me just after we mated!!" 

Pha tried to reach Yo but the latter stopped him again with a simple cold "Don't". Pha stopped and clenched his fist. He sighed and said: "That night was just as special for me too. As I told you that night, I went to do something important. I went to resign from the Union. I wanted to have a simple life with you, Yo." Yo just looked at him coldly. No compassion on his face. He even crossed his arms waiting for Pha to continue. 

Pha continued: "I was going to the commander's office to tell him about it when I heard him and Apollo talking." He frowned hard as he remembered how Apollo betrayed him too. "Apollo was informing the commander how I planned to mate with you. Yes, I know. It was my fault for telling him about it. He was telling the commander that most probably I would want to resign from the Union. The commander had laughingly said that I could not. No one had been able to leave the Union alive. He said that if I leave, both my mate and myself would die." I was frozen in fear. You could not die. My only thought at that time was to protect you. 

I turned back and moved towards my room. I needed to behave normally and to leave immediately afterwards. Every assassin had to check in as they entered the Union's premises. And the commander knew that I was in my room, so I had to work for a while before I left to avoid suspicion. When later on, another assassin came into my room to give me a mission, I did not bother to check it before transferring it to K. I just sent it. My priority was you. I needed to get back to you. I needed to hide you. They would have killed you otherwise. 

And when K came into my room, asking for explanations for the mission I transferred to him, I was not paying attention to him. I was afraid at that time and I just acknowledged that yes I was the one who sent that mission to him. And even said that I checked it. He left in anger. I was not getting him because he was the one who always kept on telling me that he was not willing to kill anyone just like this. I thought he was making a fuss about it again. My mind was not focusing on him and on what he was saying at all. 

But when I reached our apartment, yo- you were not there. You had disappeared. I tried to reach for K to help me to look for you. Because I knew that it was the commander and Apollo who were trying to kill you. I just knew it. I knew nothing about the mission that I transferred to K. In my mind, you were either taken by the commander or were already killed by him. I looked for K like crazy, knowing that he would help me out. But I could not find him anywhere. Neither him nor you. 

Yo stopped him by asking: "If you came to know who sent you the mission... If now you know it was the commander and Apollo who sent you the mission, why are you still working for the Union?" Pha looked at him and said in a cold voice: "Because I needed help to find Adrestia. The one who killed you. The Union is strong enough to find someone like him." Yo raised an eyebrow at his explanation but gestured for him to continue.

Pha continued: "And then I heard K was resigning from the Union. I did not understand why he was suddenly resigning and went with the search party to look for him. I was hoping that maybe you were with him. But before I could reach him, a loud explosion was heard and the ship on which he was supposedly on exploded. And I saw a masked man come towards me. He threw your ring, K's ID  and the two marbles containing the two missions on the floor at my feet. He said: "Your two missions are done." And he disappeared.