CHAPTER 8

|Washington, DC
|July 4 2010, 14:30

"Catgirl, catch!"

Catgirl was still in shock from what had just went down with Speedy. Too much was running through her head, so she didn't notice the energy bar until it had hit her in the head, the force of it easily making her fall over, clutching her head.

She could just make out Robin yelling, "Careful, she's fragile!" through the loud thumping in her head.

"She's supposed to catch it!" Kid Flash yelled back, clearly panicking.

"It's fine." she grumbled over to them, getting to her feet with the bar in her hand. "I should've caught it. My bad."

Robin checked her head for any injuries before giving her a small smile and running over to the nearest computer.

"Yeah?", Kid Flash tilted his head as he looked her up and down, "You'd normally at least try and hit me back..."

Catgirl smirked at him, "And why would I do that when you're in perfect claw distance?" She flashed her razor sharp claws, giving him the hint that she didn't appreciate being hit in the head with one of his fatty snacks after all.

He quickly backed up to go and see what Robin was doing over on the computer, glancing back at her, still unsure as to why she wasn't attacking.

It was probably hard to adjust to the fact she wasn't feral anymore.

She looked down at the bar in her hand and examined it's wrapper, trying not to think about the things she probably did to him while she was feral.

The guilt was bad enough when she didn't think about it.

Catgirl couldn't read much of the words on the wrapper, but recognised the STAR Labs logo on the front.

It looked like one of the bars they used to try and feed her so she'd be able to use her powers for longer.

She opened it a little and sniffed it, immediately regretting it and throwing it away in disgust.

It was definitely one of those energy bars.

Disgusting.

Robin spun around on the chair he was sitting on with a mischievous look on his face, "Wanna break into Cadmus with us?" He pointed behind him at an empty open file on the computer.

"I wouldn't word it like that..", Aqualad frowned.

"Dude if we say 'investigating' she'll not want to come, 'breaking and entering' is much more appealing to her.", Kid Flash said like she wasn't less than a few feet away from them- with superhearing.

"Well?", Robin smiled, "You in? We could use an expert."

Catgirl looked at the boys unsure. "The lab across town?", she questioned, even more unsure how she even knew that.

She'd never heard of Cadmus before, let alone did she know where it was.

That meant only one thing: she'd been there when she was feral.

"Yeah?", Robin looked at her suspiciously, "You broke in before?"

Catgirl thought about it, trying to remember, but like all her feral memories it was non-existent.

"Hello?" Kid Flash waved his hand infront of her face, "Earth to Catgirl?"

"Yes.", she didn't need to think about it any further, "I'm in."

If she was there when she was feral, going back would trigger the memories, making her one step closer to learning the truth about what led her to Belle Reve.