CHAPTER 67

TW: SUBSTANCE ABUSE

|Gotham City
|October 25 2010, 01:32

"There you are. Finally.", Robin huffed, out of breath from sweeping the city for any sign of Catgirl.

He jogged across the building to her, looking up at the sky for any helicopters. "Is it really a good idea for you to be out in the open like this?", He wondered, "You know, with practically everyone wanting your head again?"

Catgirl didn't look away from the city skyline. She took another puff from her cigarette as Robin sat next to her.

"That bad?", he frowned.

Like everyone else, Robin only knew Catgirl ran out of her counselling session; he didn't know why.

What happened in that room had been feeding away at him all night, so he too slipped under the League's radar, to try find Catgirl. He needed to know what Black Canary said to her in that room to make her storm out like that.

"I slipped up." Catgirl flicked some ash off her cigarette, watching it cool as it slowly fell the 10 storeys onto the street below.

"Slipped up?" Robin struggled to focus on the ash for more than a half a storey with his human vision. He was confused. He didn't understand Katherine slipping up. Catgirl never slipped up.

"I told her something she didn't know before."

Robin forced a chuckle in attempt to lighten the mood, "You mean like a normal therapy session?"

Catgirl looked at him unamused, the humour clearly not helping her negative mood. "She thinks I have my memories back, Robin. That's bad."

"Oh...", Robin diverted his eyes, "That is quite bad, huh?" He managed to look back at her, daring to ask, "So, is it true?"

"Yeah.", Catgirl took another puff of her cigarette, "Yeah, it is."

Robin opened his mouth to say something but couldn't find the words.

What could he say that wouldn't make it worse?

"Now I have to find a way to tell the team, but I can't, because.."

"Because the memories hurt.", Robin finished for her. For once he understood her motive behind her actions; like him, she had memories that were just too painful to bring up again, memories that were easier to just keep memories.

With Katherine, those memories went over the course of two years, every one of them traumatic- if not to her, then someone else.

"I'm sorry for not telling you.", Catgirl quietly apologised, "I know I told you I'd not keep secrets anymore, I just-"

"No, I get it." Robin nodded, looking out to the skyline, "Just tell me how."

Catgirl questioned, "How?"

Robin nodded, unable to look at her from the thought of what she most likely did to retrieve all her memories. "How did you get them back, the memories?"

Katherine didn't tell him much about herself but what she did tell him he remembered, and he knew for a fact she couldn't retrieve a memory from a past life without going to the location it took place in, or coming into contact with an object or person from said memory.

It would be impossible for her to get all the memories back as it would be impossible for her to visit all the locations, or come into contact with everyone and everything she did when she was feral. The last he checked, she didn't even know where to start with it.

The last time he checked, there was a two year gap between Mooney Bridge and Belle Reve, one she'd only just begun to fill with broken memories, from the coincidences the team's missions triggered them.