CHAPTER 24

|Santa Prisca
|July 22 2010, 23:40

His temper got the best of him and he pushed Catgirl, probably further towards Bane.

Of course, this wasn't Robin's goal- it was the exact opposite, but now he'd done it, he needed to pull her back to the team, before Bane took advantage of her and managed to manipulate her back into her old lifestyle of crime.

Bane was offering her half of the giant island they were on, and half of his billion-dollar drug empire. The Catgirl that Robin knew would take that deal in a heartbeat, and he didn't yet have enough faith in who she was becoming to believe she wouldn't take the deal too.

"Hey, Robin.", Miss Martian asked through her telepathic link, the only way the team could talk without Catgirl knowing, "What did you say to Catgirl in the trees?"

"Nothing.", Robin lied, quickly realising she could tell that he was lying, "I mean she wants to keep it private. She's fine."

"That so?", Aqualad kept a close watch on her, "Then why is she crying?"

"She's crying?!", Robin quickly looked over to Catgirl who was walking alongside Bane. Every now and then she'd subtly wipe her eyes, glancing at everyone to make sure they didn't notice. He frowned as a wave of guilt hit him, "Ok, fine...we had an argument. I told her that she couldn't be trusted, because I know how much she wants to be...and because I don't trust her."

"Dude.", Kid Flash sounded pissed off, "Even if it's true, that was not cool. Apologise to her. Now"

Catgirl glanced at them, oblivious to the mind link. When her eyes met with Robin she glared before walking infront of Bane to hide herself. "Preferably, before she decides to stay with Bane, and he tries to kill us.", KF added.

"If I- if any of us goes near her it'll cause an argument. Bane will take advantage of her emotions and set her against us." , Robin presumed, "He'll be expecting it."

"Then I'll do it-"

"No!", everyone in the mental link yelled over Superboy, making them all wince in pain and grab their heads.

Of course, Catgirl noticed this.

Surprisingly, Bane stopped her from doing anything, by gently pushing her forward to continue walking.

This still only seemed to make her more angry at the team.

"See.", Robin looked over at Superboy, "He'll use what we say and do against us; he's trying to turn her against us."

"But she won't turn against us...will she?", Miss Martian frowned.

The team looked at Robin for an answer.

Honestly, he didn't know.

"I don't know...", He admitted, "Katherine's as unpredictable as ever."

"Bane also has us in a tight spot.", Aqualad added, narrowing his eyes at the smug drug lord.

"Yeah.", Robin agreed, "The more we do to get to her, the further he'll push her away."

"So what?", Kid Flash scoffed, "We're just going to wait around until Bane snaps and just hope she chooses us? That's insane- he's offering her millions of dollars!"

"But we're offering her a second chance." Robin assured, "That means more to her than anything. Trust me, when the time comes, she'll choose us over him. Until then we just have to keep our cool and trust her to make the right choices."