CHAPTER 4

| Gotham City
|July 1 2010, 05:58

The Batmobile parked next to them and Batman got out.

You'd think after all the times Katherine had messed with Batman she'd not be afraid of him anymore, but he still terrified her deep down. She subconsciously stood behind Robin for protection and nervously smiled up at Batman, "Hey, Bats, long time no- see!"

In return for the batarang Batman had just thrown, Katherine pulled out her knife. She held it to Robin's neck. "Move any closer and you know what happens!"

Batman stopped and glared at her.

Robin sighed, surprisingly relaxed for a hostage. "As convincing as she is, she doesn't want trouble, Bruce."

"Clearly.", Batman responded, a little more tense than his sidekick was.

"She still wants to talk, you just spooked her," Robin assured, "She won't actually hurt me-"

"Will!", Katherine cut him off, "So don't come any closer! But...I am willing to talk."

Batman hesitated before taking a step back. "Fine," he said, crossing his arms, "Start with how you're alive. How did you escape Belle Reve?"

"Uh..." Katherine lowered the knife from Robin's neck. "Do we have to start with-?"

"Yes."

"Well I can't answer that yet.", Katherine diverted her eyes.

"Why?"

"I just can't."

Why?"

"Because I don't...remember." Katherine spoke a little clearer, "I don't remember anything after I went feral."

Batman didn't look 100% convinced, but like Robin, he knew she'd lose memory if she died.

"Two years is a lot, and it's convenient you wouldn't remember anything-"

"I know what I did," Katherine spoke over him, "These past 7 months, all I've done is try and remember. I looked into every crime, every victim- I didn't have any reason for what I did- and I wish I remembered, I deserve to, but I don't."

Batman took a step towards her, and she backed up against the suicide barrier of the bridge.

"Look, I'm sorry." Katherine internally panicked. "really, I am-", her voice cracked.

She looked over at Robin for help but he just stood there- of course he did, she was stupid to think he'd actually defend her from him.

Whatever Batman did now she deserved.

Katherine looked up at Batman who was only a foot away from her, keeping her knife tightly gripped in her hand.

He towered over her, staring down at her. Katherine tried to hold back the tears threatening to spill, but stopped when Batman said, "Okay." and backed up again.

"What?" Katherine shakily wiped her eyes. "You..you believe me?" she dropped her knife on the ground.

"Yes."

"You do?" Robin was just as shocked as Katherine was to hear this.

"Yes," Batman repeated. "You don't have the eyes of a killer, not anymore."

"So you'll let me go?", Katherine asked hopefully.

"No."

"But you just-"

"I said I believed you." Batman narrowed his eyes at her, "You are not free to go."

"You said she didn't have the eyes of a killer, she's innocent!" Robin quickly stood infront of Katherine, "I won't let you take her back to prison!"

"I never said that either." Batman got back in the batmobile. "I don't want Katherine back in Belle Reve. I also don't want her going feral again, so I'm giving her a second chance to come back to The Batcave."

"You will?" Katherine was now unsure.

She knew Batman never wanted her to go to Belle Reve to die, it'll be why she had to turn herself in, but she still didn't trust him.

"Guess so," Robin said with a smile, pulling her towards the batmobile, "Get in. I call shotgun."

Katherine hesitated to get in.

She had really bad motion sickness, and the last thing she needed in this situation was to have her guard down due to overwhelming nausea.

"I...I think I'll just meet you there. I know where The Batcave is-"

"Get in.", Batman warned.

"O-Okay.." Katherine hesitantly got in the batmobile, "Just drive- slow!" She hissed as the batmobile sped off.

Robin laughed at her in the front as she groaned and lay back on the seats.

The only thing worse than Batman to Katherine was his car.

***********************************************************************

Word Count: 663

A/N: So I will explain it more in future chapters but like a regular cat Katherine has an urge to kill, when she gives into it she goes into a state known as "Feral", where like any average cat she has the instinct to attack anything she deems prey. In Katherine's case this is almost everything that moves. She can of course fight this instinct to kill, but only for so long. If she is stressed, scared or angry enough Katherine loses control and subconsciously attacks the closest thing which puts her at high risk of becoming feral again. Once Katherine is feral the only thing that can put her back to her normal state is if she dies which means she starts all over again.