CHAPTER 28

|Gotham City
|July 29 2019 22:41

After realising CatCo hadn't just put her, but those who were close to her in danger, Katherine had been visiting her trusted friends- or sending them recorded messages to warn them about the likely danger.

So far she'd been doing this in her suit as a new Catgirl, concerned for those who had public connections to the past one, but she wanted to make sure her last stop was as herself, as nobody at The Crock Household would listen to anyone else.

Katherine would be lucky if they listened to her, after everything that'd happened.

It'd been years since Katherine visited. The last time she did, the mother, recently retired as Huntress, had been arrested for her past crimes in a raid. Fortunately the father, Sportsmaster, was working abroad at the time, and Jade and Artemis, their daughters, had been with Katherine; she remembered they were spray-painting in an abandoned building, oblivious to the SWAT team tearing through the apartment across town. When they went back and discovered what had happened Jade ran away to join her father, but the youngest sister, Artemis, chose to stay behind and wait for her mother, who'd be released from prison any day now.

Katherine needed to make sure Artemis had her guard up when she went to Blackgate to get her mom, so if someone there did try and attack them because of their connection, both of them would be ready for it.

She eventually got the guts to enter the apartment by climbing the fire escape and going through the girls' old bedroom, but before trying the window she noticed an alarm and a device that looked like it held some type of gas that'd spray if the window was opened from the outside. Not worth the risk.

Sportsmaster most likely wanted Artemis to stay safe while he was out of town. He too seemed to agree that she was the most normal in the family, that if the apartment came under attack, Artemis was the least likely to be able to fight off a group of trained professionals- most likely heroes, or government agents who were back for round two.

Peering through the inaccessible window, Katherine could see the bedroom lights were off, like the rest of the apartment. Artemis didn't seem to be home right now, but Katherine insisted on talking to her in person, so she sat down on the fire escape and patiently waited.

Artemis wouldn't be far from home if her mother was being released soon; she'd been waiting for her to get out for 6 years.

In her pocket, Katherine felt her phone vibrate. She pulled it out and quickly slipped on her cowl to look at the contact picture:

Roy Harper.

She sighed and watched the call go to voicemail. Roy wasn't too happy about her leaving him to track down and warn her old friends, as it would be putting her at more risk of being seen, but Katherine knew it'd be so much worse if her old friends tried to find her, or if someone else found them- someone who'd do anything to get information on her and her whereabouts.

It was just safer for everyone if she did things like this, especially with Artemis, as she was like family, once.

Katherine's phone vibrated again, this time being Robin. Having not talked to him since their mission on Santa Prisca, she took pity on him picked up.

"Katherine?"

"Yeah, it's me.", Katherine casually replied, "What's up?"

On the other end Robin sighed in relief. He'd been worried about her ever since he got a call from Roy saying that she'd left his apartment to slow down CatCo. "I've not talked to you in nearly a week, I was starting to think something happened to you."

"Something happened to me?" Katherine smiled, "You act like going awol is out of character for me." She glanced back at the girls' dark bedroom, "I'm just about to reunite with an old friend. How are our friends at The Cave?"