CHAPTER 48

|Gotham City
|August 12 2010, 12:01

"You're late.", Batman narrowed his eyes at Katherine, who was clearly anxious about something.

For once he was able to read her; her anxiety was almost infectious.

"What happened?", He asked.

Katherine put her hand through her hair and let out a shaky breath."You said to meet me at 12, I'm- I'm barley late!" She looked over at Robin, who was standing next to him, and starting to get anxious himself.

"So?", Robin furrowed his brows in concern, "What happened? Are you ok? Is Artemis ok?"

Katherine nodded, "Yup!" She put her hands in her pockets, avoiding eye contact with either of The Dynamic Duo. "Why would you think I wasn't?"

"Because you and Artemis are wanted in Star City?", Robin suggested. 

"They'll give up searching in an hour or two anyway.", Katherine dismissed, "I have way more to worry about than snitching to you...", She looked up at Batman, her eyes widening with panic again.

Robin frowned, trying to figure out why she was acting like this. He knew she often got emotional when struggling to fight her feral side, but something must've triggered the strong emotion.

Something had happened in the police station that scared her, something bad.

"Did you find out what the plan was?", he asked, her diverting eyes telling him everything he needed to know.

She did.

"What are they planning?", Batman asked, watching her every movement for further clues.

Katherine dared to look back at Batman, "I...I said I didn't know.", she managed.

She didn't say that to begin with.

"I...I managed to confirm the link between the ice villain attacks, they were acting in the same plan, but..."

"But?", Batman encouraged her to continue.

Katherine swallowed. Her emotions were starting to get overwhelming; Batman knew this meant she'd be easier to get information out of, and was taking full advantage of it.

Sooner or later she'd tell them something she didn't want to.

"But I had to get me and Artemis out before he told me everything.", Katherine finished.

Robin knew it was a lie, but got the feeling that if he asked Artemis what happened, she would say the same.

It wasn't unlike Katherine to trick people into believing lies- provided Artemis wasn't in on it. Freaked out or not, Katherine never failed to make a plan.

"You what?", Batman wasn't impressed with her answer to his question. Not at all. He subtly moved his hand towards his utility belt, but not subtly enough to go unnoticed.

Thankfully, Katherine wasn't so close to losing control over her feral side that she'd try fighting him. Instead she put her hands up and tried to defend herself, "I swear I had no choice! I-If he finished- I don't know what I would've done...I..", she trailed off, diverting her eyes again, this time shamefully.

She had more than reason to.

"You would've been compromised.", Batman soon put the pieces together, "The ice villain plan includes you, doesn't it?" 

Katherine attempted to explain, "I don't know the plan; I forgot it when I came back-"

Robin took a sharp breath, knowing what was about to follow.

"That's convenient."

Batman didn't believe her at all.

"Yeah..." She cautiously continued, "After that mission, I...I think I might be a part of it. The Belle Reve plan." She weakly laughed, somewhat on the verge of breaking down. "I can't remember."

What made things worse for Katherine in situations where her emotions overwhelmed her, were more emotions.

"Where is Artemis?", Batman asked, changing the subject. He wanted to know everything, but if there was a chance of Katherine actually going feral again he wouldn't take the risk; he'd find out what she had to say about the undercover mission later, once she'd calmed down.

Robin looked at him confused, "But-"

"Did she get home safe?", Batman spoke over him, continuing to question Katherine, "Were you with Artemis until she got home?"

Katherine looked between them suspiciously but eventually nodded and confirmed, "I took her home. Her mom didn't like the look of the orange jumpsuit...but she's safe. She's okay."

"Good." Batman concluded, "Then the mission was a success."

"But I didn't-"

"You confirmed the attacks were linked and part of a plan.", Batman cut her off before his doubts about her could worsen, "And since Icicle Jr is being judged as an adult, it's safe to presume that will take him to Belle Reve Penitentiary."

"And...you're letting him go?" Katherine didn't believe The Justice League would let the villains go through with the plan- definitely not if there was a chance she was involved in it. They knew better.

Batman told her, "The Justice League will see when they're being transferred and will decide how to deal with the situation. With you on our side, it is possible we can infiltrate the prison when the time comes, so your final test to prove your loyalty will be that."

Katherine's took a step back to regain her balance. "No..", she shook her head, somewhat in denial about what she'd just been told, "You're..?"

"The choice is yours.", Batman said, turning to leave.

There wasn't much of a choice though. Not really. It was go to Belle Reve with the Justice League, or go to Belle Reve because of the Justice League.

The only choice Katherine had about that was whether she would be going for vengeance or redemption.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 912