Loss

Third Person's POV

"You got to start dating again." His friend smiled sadly at him as the two sat across one another at a café. He just smiled back at her as he took a sip of his iced coffee to try and avoid the conversation. "Clint, it's been five years."

"I'm trying." He replied as he played with his straw. He knows she means well but he could never quite adjust to this topic of conversation.

"I know, and I won't force you but you're still so young, you have time." She sympathized as she studied her friend with anxious eyes. He briefly glanced up and pursed his lips as he smiled at her with a slight nod of the head.

"I just..." He muttered then paused as he suddenly felt the lump In his throat. He forced a smile and shook his head. Her eyebrows knitted together as she saw her friend in distress. "S-Sorry."

"No, I should be apologizing. I shouldn't have brought this topic up." Natasha Romanoff frowned and leaned forward to gain some distance between her friend.

"It's fine, you're only looking out for me." He whispered as he finished the rest of his drink.

"You and Tony have been getting pretty close." She decided to change the topic to something he's more comfortable with. He just chuckled softly and made eye contact with her once again.

"Define close, he's just been annoying the hell out of me."

"I mean, you're always smiling when you're around him."

He blinked as he thought about that statement. She had a point, he was always smiling around Tony Stark. The brunette always made him feel eat ease and always made him laugh. "He's pretty easy to talk to."

"He doesn't know does he?" She asked as she tilted her head to one side. He just shook his head once again.

"I don't think anybody knows. I mean what the hell am I supposed to say?" He scoffed, "Hey I used to have a boyfriend but he died five years ago and I can't get over him." He almost laughed at how pathetic he sounded. He thought back briefly on his past partner, only to have an air of melancholy surround him.

"Hey, hey c'mon stay with me." Barton whispered as he intertwined his fingers with his partner's. "I'm sorry. Fuck, I'm so sorry." He didn't know it was possible for a human being to lose so much blood. "Please just stay with me." He begged as tears stung his eyes.

"This wasn't your fault..." His partner murmured, his eyes half open. Blood coated the man's teeth and slid down the sides of his mouth. He wanted to scream, scream for anybody to come save his lover but he knew nobody would come. "What about our wedding? That's a lot of money gone..."

"Hey, we both have no friends therefore small wedding." He smiled sadly and watched as the other man forced a weak smile. He could feel the other man's grip slowly slip away.

"I forgot to say...Happy Birthday." His partner's voice was barely audible.

"Just save your strength." He screwed his eyes shut and held the other man's hand tighter. A couple moments passed before he opened his eyes once again. His eyes fluttered as he realized his partner stopped responding. "Quinn?"

"Hey!" A voice snapped him back to reality. He snapped up with wide eyes and saw Natasha let out a deep sigh. "We should probably head back, you don't look so good." He nodded as he realized it was probably for the best.

He opened the door to his apartment. His hand reached out for the light switch in the darkness and flicked it on. He glanced around briefly before he stepped inside and shrugged off his jacket which he threw over the couch. He walked towards the box set atop his coffee table, it had a tag and a small bow at the top of it.