Transfers + Rescues

AN: main plot is different but side plot will be something very similar to something I've done before so I apologise in advance if things here and there look familiar, I just wanted to extend that side plot a tiny bit.

Also I worked on this for a while, and its 5k words, so don't feel like you have to read it AHHAH.

Third Person's POV

"Stark, I'm transferring somebody into the Avengers."

He blinked with shock at the sudden announcement; then again Nick Fury withholding information wasn't particularly new.

"Do you have the authority to do that? Doesn't Cap run the show-"

"I've already spoken to Captain Rogers about the matter."

He scoffed and mockingly placed his hand over his heart followed with a pained expression. "Wow I feel so left out."

The older man shot him a look that meant that he wasn't willing to put up with Tony's antics today.

He groaned and rolled his neck back, "Okay, I'll stop fucking about; tell me what they're like."

Fury nodded, relieved that Tony was willing to be serious. "He was my best man."

"Was?"

A beat passed, "He just returned from an undercover mission about a month ago."

He sat up in his chair, suddenly very interested in said topic. "How long was he gone for?"

"Seven years."

He sucked air through his teeth and his eyebrows knitted together. For a split second he wondered if he heard the number correctly but if it came from Fury ... it wouldn't be surprising.

He asked himself how somebody could stay sane after seven years of being undercover.

"Are you sure he should be getting back into the mix of things so soon?"

Even after just a couple of months in Afghanistan changed him immensely as a person, he could only imagine what seven years could do.

"I tried telling him that." Fury conceded, "I even offered for him to take the whole damn year off but he refused."

"I'm guessing he's not very stable then." He joked as he rubbed the back of his head, then another train of thought hit him. "If he's not back in the loop yet, then why transfer him to the Avengers?"

"Psych cleared him, and simple missions won't be able to keep his mind busy."

"You're not really selling him to me right now." He narrowed his eyes, "It sounds as if he could just turn around and stab us at any given second."

The other man smiled at him and his stomach jumped. "Just don't piss him off."

His eyes widened, "Why would Cap even agree to having him on the team?"

"You trust Rogers ... don't you?"

"Trust is a strong word-"

"Stark." The man cut him off before he could further exaggerate. He breathed out and nodded with defeat. "Then trust his decision to put my man on the team. He's a good man but he still needs time to adjust."

LATER THAT DAY

The first time he saw the transfer, the only thought that raced through his head was-

'Fuck this guy is hot.'

He hated himself for having those thoughts, he felt so shallow. Then again, it wasn't as if he expected to suddenly have a good-looking team member.