Chapter Fifteen

Sitting with her legs propped on the railing of the porch, Terra watched the small number of wolves out on the grass

Sitting with her legs propped on the railing of the porch, Terra watched the small number of wolves out on the grass. The door opened and she lowered her legs, only relaxing slightly at the unfamiliar wolf.

He didn't go out to the grass though and sat beside her, shaking his golden hair so it fell just over his eyes. "I assumed you'd be sleeping for a week after your first run." At Terra's look of confusion, he chuckled. "I'm Jake, we ran together that night. You know, the big, powerful gold wolf."

Terra laughed. "Ah right, how could I have forgotten?"

Jake eyed her with some curiosity before he spoke again. "You're eighteen, aren't you?"

With a small nod, Terra frowned. "I have been for a couple months. Why, are you?"

With another laugh, he shook his head. "No, I haven't been for years, thank god."

"Are you bothering her, Jake?" Jessie pushed open the porch door and sat against the railing, her curls pulled back into a bun. "I don't want to do more damage control today. I already have a bunch of overly exhausted wolves that Jason wants me to look after."

Terra laughed, but Jake turned his gaze to the door, frowning. Terra noticed his gaze and looked around them, but noticed nothing more. She went to ask, but he held up a finger and Jessie leaned over.

"He's got some pretty great hearing," Jessie said in a whisper. "He just wants to show off."

The door burst open and a girl with a much younger boy dashed out. Before the door could fully close after them, a hand caught it and Sonya stepped out onto the porch. Her narrowed gaze watched the two younger wolves dash away from her until it landed on the trio.

"Oh!" Sonya said, as if she had just noticed them. "I was hoping to catch you three." Her gaze lingered on Terra for a moment longer as she glanced to each of them. "Did you enjoy your run?"

Terra noticeably cringed at the sight of Sonya, but tried to hide it by putting her legs up on the railing again. "Actually yes. We quite enjoyed it, just on our own."

Jessie's gaze swapped from Sonya to Terra and then lowered to the ground, shoulders hunched. Jake watched Sonya evenly, but stayed quiet.

"So, is there an explanation why you chose to defy the pack?" Sonya overlooked Terra and focused on Jessie and Jake. "It's only on a full moon that the pack runs together. You know how things are done here."

Before Terra could retort, Jake stood with his hands in his pockets. "We were simply helping a new wolf onto her paws. The rest of the pack had started the run by the time she was ready. However, we still wanted her to have a run. Especially Jessie here, who has spent the last few weeks focused on getting Terra accustomed." He gave Sonya a half smile and ducked his head. "I'm sure you can understand."

"That does not excuse your actions," Sonya said, staring him down. "You know where the pack meets each run. You know where new wolves are taken." Sonya swapped her gaze to Jessie and she came up to her. Her lips pressed into a fine line as she looked her over. She took a step closer and passed her, descending the stairs and walking out into the yard.