Chapter Eighteen

Terra wandered the halls of the Manor, running her hand through her hair for the fourth time in the last minute

Terra wandered the halls of the Manor, running her hand through her hair for the fourth time in the last minute. Jrasic's scent flooded over her as she passed his door and she halted with a playful smile tugging on her lips. She rapped on the door twice with the back of her knuckles before pushing in. Letting the door close behind her, Terra leaned against it, hands behind her back. "What are you doing?" she asked him casually.

Jrasic was kneeled on the floor by the foot of his bed. He tucked a stuffed brown dog into a backpack, pressing down on the head as he looked up at Terra. "Hey." Apparently having succeeded in squeezing in the toy, he pulled the zipper shut. "I was, uh, just heading out." He stood up and swung the bag over one shoulder.

Terra eyed the backpack and gave a tight-lipped smile. "Well it seems very important." She strolled over to him and tugged slightly on the pack, her tone moving away from its playful nature. "Where are you headed?"

"I've got to check up on someone." Jrasic trailed his fingers down from her shoulder and pulled away when he met her wrist, stepping around her. "You're welcome to come along."

Giving a light shrug in response, Terra followed. "I don't have much else to do. Jake and Jessie are both busy today doing something or other." She ran the back of her hand along his with a smile. "Plus I don't mind spending it with you."

"That so?" Jrasic bumped his hand lightly against hers before twining their fingers together. "It's a bit of a walk though, if you don't mind that."

"Please, when you live in a small town you learn to walk everywhere." Terra gave their hands a slight swing as they went, her eyes darting around the Manor. "It'll be nice to get away."

A soft frown set across Jrasic's face as they descended the stairs. "I'm sorry. I should have brought you out of the Manor sooner. I know it can be..." he paused, glancing away for the correct word. "Suffocating."

"Don't be, we're getting out now, right?" Terra bumped him as they exited and took a deep breath of the warming air. "With summer around the corner I'll have to get out more, though." Jrasic nodded and gave her hand the smallest of squeezes in reply.

As they walked, Terra leaned into him with a slight smile. "So where are we going? Into town or some remote place in the woods?" She glanced up at him and smiled again. "Or are you going to keep this mysterious?"

Jrasic snorted and shook his head. "She lives in town. Not all wolves have creepy old mansions in the middle of the forest."

"Just most of us, right?" Terra said. "It's better than some run down old home though."

"What, living in a mansion?" Jrasic shrugged. "I suppose it could be. I personally prefer something smaller." The trees started to thin until they gave way to a stretch of grass with park equipment further down.

"I only lived in one place my entire life," Terra replied. "I never thought I would leave, actually."

"If only the Manor was a better second home." Jrasic led them toward the street by the side of the park, pausing to glance up and down it before crossing over.