Chapter Ninety-One

The manor was close, but they stopped a while down the road to travel through the woods instead, and meet up with those that had shifted

The manor was close, but they stopped a while down the road to travel through the woods instead, and meet up with those that had shifted. Terra paused in the trees and the others stopped behind her. She straightened and held her chin high as she marched out of the woods and into the grass of the manor's yard, her wolves and the Hunters flanking out behind her.

The manor looked the same as it had ever. Sonya stood at the door, her hands tucked into her white coat's pockets. A smile crawled its way across her face at the sight of Terra marching to meet her at her very home. Several of Aaron's wolves moved from the bushes, exposing themselves just enough to announce their presence, as Sonya's wolves flanked their home.

Sonya crossed her arms over her chest, watching Terra alone. "Welcome back," she said.

"It's where you wanted me." Terra gestured back to the pack and Hunters behind her. "I've brought my pack, and my allies, and I am not backing down."

"As I no longer expected you would," Sonya said. Her smile faded away and she cupped her hands before her. "I'm sorry for what it took to get you out here today."

Terra just shook her head. "Jessie is no concern of yours. She's my Healer, and now we're here. Give her back to us, and we can get this over with."

Sonya weighed the demand, then nodded. "As you wish." The manor door opened and Jessie appeared. An arm wound around her waist, holding her securely to her captor. Another arm balanced on her shoulder, a hand gripped her neck. Aaron stood just behind Jessie, his grip not at all gentle on her. His fingertips had lengthened into claws which pressed into the side of her neck.

Terra took one step forward at the sight of her and held her hands out. "Jessie, you okay?" A small cry escaped the girl but she managed the smallest of nods, even in Aaron's grip. "Okay." Terra looked to Sonya again and waited, unable to hide the worry across her face.

Neither Alpha moved. "You know," Sonya started. "You never gave me what I wanted." She looked Jessie over and Aaron dug his claws in more. "Why should I give you what you want?"

"That isn't why we're here," Terra said with a step forward. "We are facing each other, as Alpha's, with our packs. Jessie was a- a message to us. Nothing more."

"Was she?" Sonya asked. "Yes, she was one way to drag you out here. Since your sire didn't quite do the trick."

Terra's hands curled into fists and she let out a slow breath. "Then let's settle this. I want Jessie back, first."

"I already told you why I can't do that," Sonya said. Her smile returned faintly. "I made a promise to your friend that his sister will be safe. I have the safest place for her." She moved in closer to Aaron and Jessie, her gaze turned onto the Healer. "Did you know, when people like us die, there's a special place we go," she directed to Terra. "Some say it's a paradise, a place only wolves can go. Others say it a purgatory. But no matter what, it's place where we are all..safe."