Chapter Sixty

It was snowing again and Wren watched the flakes fall through the large windows that bordered the front door to the house

It was snowing again and Wren watched the flakes fall through the large windows that bordered the front door to the house. He stood just beside it with his stuffed dog trapped between his arms, a small sniffle coming from him, though his eyes were dry.

Lynea came around to the large living room with two mugs in hand, steam still coming from them. "Come on, kid," she said to him but Wren barely moved. "Hot coco's supposed to be hot, you know." She went to him instead and the boy only looked away once she was at his side.

A light huff came behind them as Jake padded into the room, his fur still cold from sitting outside. Jake went around his other side and put his paws on the windowsill, sticking his muzzle in Wren's face with another light huff. Wren managed a little smile, though his laugh was cut off by a wet cough. Lynea offered him the cup again and this time he took it, sipping gingerly the hot liquid.

The Beta pressed his nose to Wren's hot forehead and then pulled away again. He nudged the boy's hands that held the cup, before Jake turned and trotted through the house. He returned moments later with Jessie, nudging the back of her legs. "Jake," she protested with a small smile. Her gaze caught Wren and any trace of her smile fell. "Feeling okay, Wren?"

Wren nodded but Lynea scowled at him. "He hasn't been sleeping for the last few days," she said to the Healer. "At first, it was nothing, but looks like the colder it gets-"

"I'm okay," Wren interrupted but then promptly swiped at his nose with his sleeve.

"Well," Jessie said with a little sigh. She felt his forehead and frowned. "I have something for you today, and I can go get something better later on."

A low growl passed through Jake's throat and he gave a short bark to alert the rest of the house. A moment passed before the Hunters actually came into view. Lynea frowned at the sight of them and set a hand to Wren's back. "Come on, let's find Terra," she muttered and guided the kid away before the pair even reached the door.

Jake sat beside the door as Jessie pulled it open for the Hunters with a smile. "Terra will be right out," she told them both.

"Of course," Dominic said but his companion peered inside.

"So are we not allowed in until then?" he asked, shifting the bag he held.

The Healer looked down to Jake and he merely nodded for the Hunters to enter, staying in his wolf form. "It should be fine if you come in," Jessie relayed, still keeping her smile.

While Dominic hesitated, the other strolled right in with a lovely grin to Jessie. "Very kind of you," he said and even nodded to the golden wolf.

Her smile stretched wider and she went to say more, though Terra joined them from the kitchen, wiping her hands on her jeans. "Wasn't expecting you two today," the Alpha greeted. The smile she offered was nowhere as large as Jessie's.