Chapter Nineteen

Terra slammed her sketchbook closed on the picture she'd been working on

Terra slammed her sketchbook closed on the picture she'd been working on. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't seem to get it to come out right. She glanced at the time and fell back on her bed with a huff, waiting for Jessie's 'it won't take long' with Jason to be over. She had been waiting the last hour and a half, until there was finally a knock on her door. Terra gave a sigh of relief and opened it to Jessie, as well as her brother.

"Sorry that took so long. Some wolf decided to throw up all over his room and we wanted to make sure it wasn't something that could spread," Jessie said as she came into the room.

Terra shrugged and leaned up against her wall near Charles, who hovered in the doorway. "No it's fine, I was just drawing." Her gaze went to her sketchbook and she glared at it as if it could see her.

Jessie slipped into the bathroom just off of Terra's room, closing the door behind her. "What were you girls going to do?" Charles said. His sudden turn at speaking almost shocked Terra, his deep voice resonating through the room.

"We were going into town. Jessie wanted ice cream or something. Specifically the 'good stuff' if I recall." Terra glanced around at the bathroom's open door and called, "right?"

Jessie popped back out, her hair falling free from its earlier ponytail. "I've been craving it all week. Plus, I haven't had personal time in town for a while. With it being summer, there will be a lot of people, perfect timing for us."

Her twin turned to her then said, "Do you mind if I join you? I wanted to see if that bookstore had any sales."

Jessie rolled her eyes. "Sure. You and your old books." Jessie turned to Terra as they moved out of her room and down the hall. "He has a thing for the way old books smell. He refuses to borrow them from other people though." They both gave small giggles, especially as Charles muttered something about still being able to hear them. They passed a door just by the stairs and Jessie knocked on it. "Jake, we're leaving if you still want to go."

As his door opened, Terra glimpsed curiously inside. Despite his usually ragged appearance, his room was pristine and in order. It wasn't clean in an obsessive way, but an almost military-style order. He ran a hand through his hair and yawned as he closed the door. "Sure, I don't wander town often enough." He and Charles exchanged a short nod as Terra and Jessie led the way.

The walk to town was mostly done in idle chatter between Jessie and Jake while Terra looked around the woods, grasping at inspiration for the sketch that was evading her. The park on the edge of the woods was packed with young children and sunbathers. They had even passed a few hikers on the trail, though they veered away from the Manor. Once they reached a small cul-de-sac of shops, Charles turned to Jessie.

"I'll probably meet you back at the Manor. Don't wait up, and don't spend all your money." Jessie rolled her eyes and went to make a snarky reply, but Charles silenced her by ruffling her hair. She smacked his hand away and he chuckled before walking off.