Chapter Seventy-One

As Terra trudged through the snow, she picked up new scents already lingering around the cabin

As Terra trudged through the snow, she picked up new scents already lingering around the cabin. The sky was still dark above, but even after a full moon, Terra knew Sonya would be waiting. Terra herself hadn't even slept after the run, and had simply waited until she could leave again. Before she even noticed the two sets of footprints, she recognized that Sonya had brought Jason with her, and a pang of fear went through her. As she moved up the stairs, Terra resolved her features into a blank slate and pushed open the door.

The cabin was alive with a crackling fire and the warm smell of sweets and pastries. Sonya sat curled in a knitted blanket in one of the armchairs and twisted around to smile at Terra. "There you are," she said. "Good morning."

Just as she expected, Jason stood beside the other Alpha. His eyes had hard circles beneath them and though he seemed to stand firm, the plate of cookies he carried quivered slightly in his hands.

Terra narrowed her eyes at Sonya and her gaze flickered to Jason, though her features automatically softened at the Healer. "Sonya," she greeted quietly. Terra shut the door but stayed standing near it and kept her coat on. "You've dragged Jason here now, too?"

Sonya shrugged and bit into a cookie. "He's my proof," she said, and motioned to the plate he held. "And a fine baker. Go on and have one. It's never too early for cookies you know."

"I'm alright, thanks," Terra mumbled. "Proof of what?" She lifted her gaze back to Jason and took a deep breath. She said again softer, "Proof of what?"

A silence followed until Sonya turned to look up at Jason. The Healer met her gaze, but swiftly looked away again. "He is alive," he said, but looked up to Terra next. His eyes only held something grim.

"Alive," she whispered, her hand going to her pendant. Terra held Jason's gaze, searching for something more there. "But what is alive to you?" Her question was directed at Sonya, though she still watched Jason.

The other Alpha waved her hand through the air and finally finished off her cookie. "A beating heart," she said. She clasped the blanket around her with one hand and stood, turning to face Terra fully. Behind her, Jason shook his head just slightly, his gaze now downcast.

Terra tore her gaze from Jason to focus on the Alpha again, and she straightened just a touch. "You want nothing else that I can give to get him back?" she asked once again.

Sonya released a shallow sigh. "You have heard my offer."

"But why?" Terra shook her head and took just one step towards Sonya. "Why would you want Wren?"

She neither backed down nor met Terra, simply keeping her ground. A smile slowly took to Sonya's lips as she tipped her head at Terra. "You could say we share the same history."

Terra's brow furrowed and she shook her head. "Well, you can't have him. And if you kill-" Terra stopped as nausea rose up in her throat at the thought. "If you kill Jrasic, I swear, Sonya..." She left her threat unfinished, trying to push down the sick feeling within her.